Looking for Alaska by John Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jaclynstidham23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Post by jaclynstidham23 »

What was your opinion on this book? I heard a lot of great things about it, but was surprised that it was geared maybe toward a younger audience. I still loved it, though.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I still haven't read it, but I, too, have heard a lot of great things about it. I put it on hold at the cannot wait for it to get here!!
My weekend is all booked!
jbrookea12

Post by jbrookea12 »

Great book! I adore John Green, and this book definitely did not disappoint me. I don't know whether it is because of my writing/lit training, but I could figure out the ending pretty early on, which kind of took away from the satisfaction. I don't know if that was just me or if it was a problem with others. I've only heard good things about the book. The characters are so quirky and well-developed. It's definitely geared toward a younger audience (I'm barely out of my teens, so I feel weird saying that) but I love that fact. I think if young people read books like this one, they'd be more inclined to read for fun more often. :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The book is on my to read list.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
monideane21
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monideane21.html
Latest Review: "Return to Knightshayes" by Angela Gait

Post by monideane21 »

I love this book, although it is somewhat aimed at a younger audience. I love the way that John Green writes as it really enables the reader to get swept up in the story and he makes it easy for the reader's imagination to kick in. Definitely worth the read, I couldnt put it down.
Latest Review: "Return to Knightshayes" by Angela Gait
arnaleigh
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arnaleigh.html
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran

Post by arnaleigh »

This was the first John Green book I read, I enjoyed some sections of it but overall it wasn't really for me. Fault in our stars on the other hand I enjoyed a lot!
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran
AddisoMLeo

Post by AddisoMLeo »

"Looking for Alaska", I think the proper title should be "Death to Readers". This book was so good, I could almost picture all of this happening. The ending was both upsetting and fantastic, along with the rest of his books, definitely in the top ten best books.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I loved it. John Green is incredible in that as a grown man he is able to appeal to teenagers. I went into Looking for Alaska knowing the outcome, yet I still found it so powerful.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
booklovehitme

Post by booklovehitme »

I loved it but not as much as I love reading the fault in our stars. My advice, if you're reading John Green's books for the first time, is to read the fault last so you won't have high expectations while reading the others.
Tardipug
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tardipug.html

Post by Tardipug »

As much as I loved The Fault in Our Stars, I would have to say Looking for Alaska is my favorite John Green novel.
lhtownse
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhtownse.html

Post by lhtownse »

I was so disappointed in this book. I did not find the characters to be very believable. They had elements that were great about them (the idiosyncrasies of Pudge and his friends could make for great characters and Alaska's mental and emotional issues are portrayed fairly well) but in the end I felt always conscious of the fact that I was reading a book written by an adult about teenagers. I wish I were just reading a story about teenagers.

In the end I was still able to finish the book, but would not neither recommend for or against reading it.
parrazgloria
Favorite Author: Rick Roiden
Favorite Book: Heros of Olympus Series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parrazgloria.html

Post by parrazgloria »

I generally liked this book but it was not the best. I think it was made for younger readers so they could understand. I like his other book The Fault in Our Stars more than this one. I loved the comedy in it though and the way the main character talks about the other characters.
stacmcg21
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in our Stars
Currently Reading:
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by stacmcg21 »

John Green is incredible! I have read everything he has written (so far) and loved it all. I agree that The Fault in Our Stars was better but Looking for Alaska still tugs at the heartstrings :).
ayisha80

Post by ayisha80 »

I adore this book! I feel as though TFIOS steals all the spotlight away from this book. One of my favourite books and by far my favourite John Green book. Read it ASAP! The main character is very relatable for me. This book makes me smile non-stop and I can see everything so clearly in my head it's kind of like a movie. :) Oh and I don't really mean non-stop I actually cried several times. Oh and I couldn't possibly write this review without mentioning how hilarious it is- the senior's prank might be the funniest part of a book I will ever read.
hanabanana6

Post by hanabanana6 »

I found Looking for Alaska to be aesthetically pretty but the characters were not believable (they reminded me of skins - the uk tv show - a bit) and the character Alaska was a bit selfish in my opinion. Also, I found it kind of hard to believe that the girl would give the main character (I forgot his name) a blow job as they had just met and he was still thinking of Alaska. It teaches teenagers that if youre mysterious and cold guys will be obsessed with you and that is not real life and doesnt encourage any sort of actual relationship...

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”