Is it possible to get too involved

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
valerie_oliva
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-oliva.html

Is it possible to get too involved

Post by valerie_oliva »

Is it possible to get too emotionally involved with a book? I first realized that I tend to get too emotionally involved when I read 'Discipline' by Paco Ahlgren. Toward the end of the book I was so concerned that I talked to my English teacher about it. I told him I was depressed for no reason and couldn't get out of this slump, he asked about the book I've been glued too and told me I won't snap out of it until I finished it and was able to move on and detach myself from it. Now I m careful not to let myself get so involved, but sometimes I can't control it.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Of course it is. One of the signs of a good book is its ability to grab the reader.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AmandaR
Favorite Author: Way too many to list
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandar.html
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti

Post by AmandaR »

I agree with gali. That is a sign for a well-written book. I have always had problems with good books like that interfering with work though. Not good. :/
"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain." - Emily Dickenson
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I think it's a normal thing to happen.

There have been studies that show that even if you smile for the majority of the day, it can improve your mood; if you frown a lot it can make you feel terrible. I've also heard of actors that get really depressed when playing sad roles, and so it would make complete sense that if you read something sad all day, it can affect your mood.

I'd probably recommend reading something cheerful in the mean time to counter this effect. :-)
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
monimarie88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by monimarie88 »

There have been countless times that ive had to take a break fro. A good book, due to its ability to consume my emotions and thoughts for DAYS. It can be very difficult to distance ourselves when we so deeply form bonds with these worlds and characters. I believe this shows not only the authors gift but the readers capability to completely fall into the world the author has created. The connectiin we can form with the author, the characters, the place, and also others who have read the boom...I find it very exciting :-)
valerie_oliva
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-oliva.html

Post by valerie_oliva »

Well I'm happy that it's not just me :) i'm not typically around others who love to read as much as I do, so it's hard to find people who understand. Thanks npandit I do try to read more uplifting books to reverse my emotions. AmandaR I have that problem with work too! I worked at a call center and when all I can think about is my book it can become extremely distracting.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

When it's a good book, I become emotionally invested and when it comes to an end, I can wallow in misery if it's a tragedy, or ride on the high for hours on end if it's an epically moving story, or a thrilling read.
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Paul_metto
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-metto.html

Post by Paul_metto »

Its inevitable not to get emotionaly atached with a good book because of two reasons
1) a good book should succesfully place you at the centre of the plot and make you a virtual participant in the plot development.
2) our brains cannot differenciate between real and virtual events when fully engrossed thus a greater possibiliy to assume what you are reading to be real, thus emotional atachment.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”