Official Review: Off Grid by Backwoods

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RILENTLISS
Favorite Author: Mealea Mathews
Favorite Book: Great Expectations
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rilentliss.html
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
fav_author_id: 1967

Official Review: Off Grid by Backwoods

Post by RILENTLISS »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Off Grid" by Backwoods.]
Book Cover for 1745
Share This Review

Jumping right out of the gate, I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars! Off Grid is the first in a series of stories about a couple from Ohio who find themselves in the middle of a national crisis. As John and Rae Tapper learn that their country has fallen vulnerable to a terrorist attack, they must control their fears and find a way to survive on their own, while everyday the luxuries and readily available resources they have come to rely upon dwindle and deplete.

Luckily for the couple, this is not their first time through the wilderness, and with the aid of a lofty cabin, some hunting know-how, and other useful skills, they set off to the mountains of Colorado, on a mission of survival, adaptation, and risk. A must read for the outdoor enthusiast, and anyone who has ever wondered what preparations would be required to survive in the confines of Nature!

One of my sole reasons for enjoying this book as I did was the accuracy of the information the material presented. When it comes to outdoor living, back country hunting, and the like, you really have to have some background experience to convey it correctly. I feel that this book has not only correctly conveyed the necessary duties required in outdoor living, but allowed me, the reader, to bask in the experience of a post-apocalyptic survival scenario.

One of the story’s weak points, however, was the author’s frequent “telling” of the characters’ emotions, rather than showing by other means. Although the overall idea was grasped, and at book’s end a sense of character depth was still accomplished, I do feel that some description and character gesturing was lacking.

The best aspect of Off Grid that remains with me even now, after completion of the story is the way the characters supported each other throughout the plot. In hilarious, heart-felt, and hard-boiled ways, the couple always found ways to surprise each other, amaze each other, and support each other with strength and love. John Tapper and Rae Lynn Tapper really came together as characters that complimented each other in both practical and idealistic ways.

Due to content, it is advised that readers be of a mature audience. The protagonists of the story encounter some dangerous extremes, and consequently, there is some crude language, mild drug usage, and adult humor and sexuality involved. All things considered, the story is a balanced blend of the elements a person would suspect to encounter when in such dire circumstances. If you are a backwoods enthusiast, like to hunt, and have ever dreamed about a cabin in the mountains, this is for you!

Buy "Off Grid" on Amazon
Buy "Off Grid" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”