Official Review: Earth and Below by Susana H. Case

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Official Review: Earth and Below by Susana H. Case

Post by JenniferBoyce »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Earth and Below" by Susana H. Case.]
Book Cover for 1444
Share This Review

I don’t know what I was expecting when I sat down to read this book. Maybe I was expecting a non-fiction book on the history of copper mining, maybe I was expecting a heartfelt story of some families hurt by the industry- what I certainly wasn’t expecting was a story this powerful, this heart wrenching, and this cutting. This is certainly a powerful book; one that will stay with you long after you have finished reading.

This story (or more accurately, stories) is written in poetry format. Each poem is like a short story, describing a different atrocity in the world of copper mining. The poems cover everything from workers strikes to deaths within the mines. Some of the stories are more powerful than others (the ones about death) but each section is powerful in its own right.

The subject of this book is very intense. I haven’t researched much into the history of copper mining. I understand that many atrocities were committed and that it has a dark history, but I never really understood in detail what happened. This book presented to me a history of copper mining in a way that was easy to understand while still being awfully powerful. This book will definitely cause me to look at copper mining, and mining in general, with a critical eye.

The writing in this book is extremely influential. The poetry format really offers a moving way to write the stories, much more powerful than just a simple narrative would be. The poems themselves were simple but emotional: really giving the reader a glimpse into what is being described by the author.

There were a few passages that really stood out to me as exceptionally well written and easy to visualize. It was really hard to choose which passages to quote, as there were so many beautifully written passages throughout the entire book. Here are two simple quotes from the beginning of the book:

“…The mine closes and its hole fills with brown water. The town fills with brown water, the stench entrenched, scrofulous.” (P. 9)

“Slag heaped gloom, tailings ponds, my life was an open pit that gave and took away. Burnt black hills behind the bridge over the San Francisco River cried dirty tears that coated every picket sign.” (P. 11)

When it comes to this authors writing style I have to say that I was impressed. Normally not a fan of poetry, I devoured every poetic word written in this book. I will definitely be on the lookout for any other works of poetry similar to this one that this author has written.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars due to the powerful story, expressive writing, and unique display of the copper mining history. This book is definitely a must-read for all those looking to learn more about the history of copper mining or who are interested in powerful reads. I will definitely be recommending this book to all of my friends with even the slightest interest in a chilling book that will stick with them long after they have finished reading.

Buy "Earth and Below" on Amazon
Buy "Earth and Below" on Barnes and Noble

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”