The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
readertim109
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Post by readertim109 »

Have you read The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein?

It's a very short story, written as a children's book. The story is a short moral tale about a relationship between a young boy and a tree in a forest. It tells the account of how the tree loves the boy, and helps the boy with his needs throughout his life, from the boy's childhood until his golden years.

What did you think of it? How did you interpret it?
"Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man far better than through mortal friends."
~ Dawn Adams ~
CollegeReader

Post by CollegeReader »

I adore children's literature and I really enjoyed this book, though it is somewhat bittersweet. I interpret it as a mother and son relationship. Just as a mother gives and sacrifices until she runs dry, the tree gave all she had for the boy. Beautiful.
"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled 'This could change your life'" ~ Helen Exley

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures"
awelker

Post by awelker »

i remember this as a kid. i remember my mom reading it to me all the time.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Linda

Post by Linda »

wait isnt it about a kid who betrays the tree that hes had forever and chops it down and kills it! i hate that boy! traitor!!!!!!
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
booklover85

Post by booklover85 »

This is a good book, especially for children. It's simple enough for them to understand, but has a great message that not only reaches children but also adults. I read it for a third grade class once and they were really involved with the story.
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

Cute book. Quick read. Good message. :) :)
SeoulChild

Post by SeoulChild »

I totally dig the simplicity and sincerity of Giving Tree, even though I always leave it feeling a little self-reproachful lol.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I love The Giving Tree. I own a copy. It's sort of odd as a children's book. If you ask me, it is a good mockery of what is often called love.
Last edited by Scott on 13 Mar 2008, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

Big Borat smile=] Shel Sliverstein, love the man=) Giving Tree, fond memories, I still like to take it off the shelf from time to time=) Where the sidewalk ends is awesome too=)
joafech

Post by joafech »

I cry everytime I read that book. Seeing "the boy" as an old man tugs at the old heartstrings!
Stunt Penguin

Post by Stunt Penguin »

I read this story when I was about 6 or 7. It was a really great story, but so sad. To this day, I think that the only truly selfless creatures in this world are trees. They only give and expect nothing in return. I remember hating the "boy" after he grows up.
yoerinayee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoerinayee.html

Post by yoerinayee »

I love this story so much. But there is one thing I dislike. It's the boy's attitude toward the tree. But I guess that only accentuates the tree's giving and selfless nature.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”