Official Review: Finding Grace--A Transformational Journey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Official Review: Finding Grace--A Transformational Journey

Post by ALRyder »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding Grace--A Transformational Journey" by Kathy Gottberg.]
Book Cover for 464
Share This Review

Finding Grace- A Transformational Journey by Kathy Gottberg is a book about exactly what the name claims to be, a journey one woman goes through to find herself. The book started a little slow for me. Grace Martin is shown in her adult life, sitting in a courtroom with a dispute over a multimillion dollar will hanging over her head. Her, and her church, have been named the soul heirs, but others are not so happy with the decision.

This is when the author takes us back to Grace's childhood. We are shown a little girl who has lost her father, and is left with an older sister, and a mother who can barely keep hold of herself. Grace's strongly religious grandmother steps in every now and again to help, until she finally decides the best thing to do is take over entirely.

Around the same time all of these enormous changes are happening Grace meets Mrs. Pettermint; the woman to become a large part of her life as a mentor and friend. While Grace credits her grandmother for giving her the structure she had needed at the time, Mrs. Pettermint shows her a new way of looking at God and spirituality, even at the young age of eight.

In the beginning Grace is at odds with her grandmother, and in conjunction God, telling Mrs. Pettermint when they first meet, "My grandma says we are all sinners and that only through Jesus will we ever be saved."

This is contrary to Mrs. Pettermint's beliefs, who has already said, "...love and God are actually the same thing. And when you find love, God is present."

Thereafter Mrs. Pettermint guides Grace off and on throughout her life, always insisting that Grace never lose herself, and NEVER stops asking questions (something Grace is exceptional at). Grace does not always follow the lessons learned, and makes many mistakes along the way, but to err is human, and I believe being human is part of what this book is really about.

Upon reading the original description of "Finding Grace" I wasn't really sure what to expect. I suppose one of the assumptions I had was that it would be a religious read about God being great, and making everyone's life a better place. While I expected the protagonist to have struggles, I figured she would always have God on her side to help her through them. Admittedly, the idea of everything working for the good was a major theme, but I don't think that "Finding Grace" is your stereotypical Christian read. I say, "I don't think" it is, because I am not an avid reader of Christian fiction. In fact, I've never read anything in this genre before this. I accepted this read out of curiosity, deciding to come to it with an open mind, and I'm happy I did.

I was surprised to find how hard it was for me to put this one down. Kathy Gottberg does a wonderful job staying true to character, as I felt the young Grace thought like a child, the teen version thought like a teen, and so on. She also did I great job of making the day to day life interesting; something very important with this type of book, as right up until the last 15% it read very much like a detailed memoir rather than a work of fiction. This is okay, because it is pretty much Grace's life story.

Aside from a few typos, mostly involving quotation marks and question marks (some question marks were at the end of what I took to be statements rather than questions), the editing was pretty sound, and it definitely had a solid plot. In terms of life lessons, while I agreed with a lot of the positive thinking I did not agree with all of it, which is okay because it says time and again that only you know what is right for you.

I do feel that this is not your run of the mill fiction, and there is a very strong message that can not be taken with a grain of salt. I would find it near impossible not to relate to the protagonist even with all of her humanly faults. Even the saintly Mrs. Pettermint admits to being only human.

I do not feel that this book was written for the type of religious person who believes there is only ONE right religion, and that no other religion has the right to even be heard. I still encourage the close minded to take a gander, but I am not guaranteeing you'll like what you find. This book seems to be written more for an agnostic like myself, or the religious and spiritual people who come to life with an open mind.

If this book sounds even the slightest bit interesting I would definitely give it a go. I can't imagine anyone who knows what it's about to begin with not liking it.

Considering I was so enthralled with this book, and have already suggested it to four other people, I have to give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Finding Grace- A Transformational Journey by Kathy Gottberg deserves nothing less than a rating of excellence.

Buy "Finding Grace--A Transformational Journey" on Amazon
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

Hmm...interesting. I'm normally turned off by books that might have an overly preachy substance, because they teeter between being non-fiction and fiction, then kind of fail at both--but this sounds different and more open ended. I might want to short list. Great review!
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
ALRyder

Post by ALRyder »

Thanks! Those are usually my feelings exactly, but I thought, "what the heck?" and gave this one a try. If it looks like something you might want to read I would definitely give it a try. Especially if you're open to something a little different from the norm.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALRyder

Post by ALRyder »

Thank you for commenting gali! Positive feedback is always welcome :D
KathyGott
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KathyGott »

Hi ALRyder! As the author of this book I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to read it and write such an excellent review. I know it is in a somewhat awkward genre because many people believe that a book about spirituality is usually just another version of Christian Lit. As you said, this one is definitely not that but not everyone knows the difference. More than anything I hoped to share a story about a woman who asks big questions and then finds her own unique answers--with a little help from her friends.

I am in the process of doing another edit on the book and making it also available as a print copy. I was hoping that your review would also be available on Amazon before pushing that new edition but apparently that isn't what online book club provides. Any chance you can do that? Either way, I so appreciate your time and energy. Thank you again. ~Kathy
ALRyder

Post by ALRyder »

Hi Kathy,
I think you definitely accomplished your goal with this one.

I don't know if you saw, but on Good Reads I posted that I got this book for free and did a review for it, and then I posted the link to this page. I just did the same on Amazon; I hope that's okay.

I wanted to ask what the price of your print copies will probably be as well.
KathyGott
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KathyGott »

Hi ALRyder! Thank you so much for getting back to me AND for posting/linking your review on both Goodreads and Amazon...they didn't show up yet but I think it takes a little time before they show up. And yes, I totally understand that you should say you received a copy of the book in order to review it.

I have ordered my proof copy of the print version and should have it this week. Once I check that out I will go live with it. I think that the price will be $9.95. It's quite large and has a lot of pages so it costs quite a bit more. I want to get it out there so it will be as inexpensive as I can make it. I also plan to do a FREE kindle version in honor of my birthday (and the release of the print copy) May 18 to May 21. Hopefully that will generate more interest and get even more reviews. Thank you again for your very thoughtful and thorough review. It is deeply appreciated! ~Kathy

-- 14 May 2014, 13:32 --

Hi ALRyder! I waited a few days but your link/reviews aren't showing up either on Goodreads or on Amazon as a link to the book (at least one I can find...) Did you just put it under your own name? My free days start next Sunday and I would love to have it available so if not too much trouble please let me know. Thanks! ~Kathy

-- 14 May 2014, 13:35 --

Okay I just found the one on Goodreads! GREAT. I will keep looking on Amazon....

-- 18 May 2014, 15:23 --

This novel is FREE on Amazon Kindle from May 18th to May 22nd, 2014. If it sounds like something you would enjoy reading be sure and grab your free copy. The print edition is also now available. Enjoy!
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

ALRyder, I'm impressed that you decided to give this one a go. I'm a Christian, yet I too do not like to read books that are too message-y (whatever the message). What the author has apparently pulled off here is very, very hard to do!

I recently finished The Interestings, which is a bit more ambitious than Finding Grace (four main characters rather than one), but it seems like the same type of novel, except written from a point of view of secular spirituality (if I may use that phrase). And it is being praised all over the place.
ALRyder

Post by ALRyder »

I think the idea of secular spirituality was what "Finding Grace" was going for as well. There are a lot of Christian ideologies, but also a lot of finding spirituality within yourself. I will have to look into "The Interestings". From time to time I like to read books like this one that give you a lot to ponder without coming out and saying, "Hey, think about this!" If that makes sense.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Yep, it makes sense. I hope you enjoy The Interestings, which it seems that I now cannot spell!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”