Official Review: Shadows of Damascus by Lilas Taha

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ITnker
Favorite Author: No favorites.
Favorite Book: See favorite author.
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itnker.html
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha

Official Review: Shadows of Damascus by Lilas Taha

Post by ITnker »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha.]
Book Cover for 1702
Share This Review

Even though a book of fiction, Shadows of Damascus is a story based on a man’s devotion to keep a promise. Adam, an American soldier, makes a promise to an interpreter assigned to his patrol unit, Fadi, in return for saving his life during the heat of battle in Iraq. Fadi later realizes Adam will be the answer to save his sister, Yasmeen, from the Syrian government’s atrocities on Syrian civilians, asking Adam to live up to his promise. A story with twists and turns as two adults seek to understand each other’s boundaries, past experiences, and inner fears.

Yasmeen is brought to America to live with a man she knows nothing about. Left with the struggle to understand the American way of living and lingo, Yasmeen copes with the man she shares a home with and growing concern for what she has left behind in Syria. At the same time, Adam changes his world to keep his promise, as he struggles with inner emotions and tries to understand the woman he has opened his home for. The combination of paths they follow as they fight to conquer a painful history and accept new realities are compelling and believable.

Lilas Taha presents a story closely related to modern day events. The story line of the book is not your typical romance novel, yet offers the insight of how two individuals can overcome differences. The characters are believable and not made out to be heroes nor have the illusion of exaggerated abilities. Lilas does a great job of drawing out the characters and the true meaning of how life events affect decisions made from the heart.

What a book?! Shadows of Damascus could be categorized as a fiction of drama or romance. Not normally my choice of genres, but this book was intriguing enough not to want to put it down. This book kept my interest and with a yearning to know what was going to happen next. The author does an excellent job keeping the story moving and the reader guessing as to what’s coming.

Based on the content and how the story moves, I rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. A good read for anyone who enjoys romance and drama, and even for those of us who would not give such genres the time of day. A short story well written, with the substance to keep the reader intrigued, this story is definitely worth someone’s time.

Buy "Shadows of Damascus" on Amazon
Some of my happiest moments are when lost within the pages of a book!
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha
Lilas Taha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lilas Taha »

ITnker, thank you for your review of my book. I am very pleased to know how the story captured your interest.

Post by 5032010782 »

It is very beautiful to fall in love
Lilas Taha

Post by Lilas Taha »

Absolutely!
DEON1
Favorite Author: Lisa Jackson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deon1.html
fav_author_id: 10477

Post by DEON1 »

seems like a great read!
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

sounds good, I'll have to try it.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
emsmith0421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emsmith0421.html

Post by emsmith0421 »

I love that you stated this was not your normal choice of genres-I too am pleasantly surprised when I read something I can't put down and was not expecting it to be that captivating. I must read this!
Lilas Taha

Post by Lilas Taha »

I'm so glad you find this interesting. I hope you'll enjoy it, and would love to get your feedback once you do read it,
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Post by casper »

Not my usual genre but this sounds a great book with an interesting story line and sympathetic characters. Thank you for your well written review.
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons
dishaprashant

Post by dishaprashant »

One of my usual genres. Excellent review ITnker. Reading stories revolving around war lorn countries makes your heart bleed. And setting up a story on this backdrop is a challenge in itself. Will surely read this book. Lilas Taha I will definitely read this book and share my feedback at the earliest.
Lilas Taha

Post by Lilas Taha »

I will appreciate your feedback and look forward to it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”