Official Review: The Daddy Game by Shadez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Daddy Game by Shadez

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Daddy Game" by Shadez.]
Book Cover for 1721
Share This Review

"The Daddy Game" is a light fiction read told from the first point of view of a young African-American male. The protagonist has to contend with the possibility of becoming an unwilling father due to unexpected circumstances. Despite the serious scenario portrayed, the book keeps a humorous style. The book gives us an honest insight into the mindset of a man getting trapped into relationship by a greedy woman. One may or may not like the protagonist, but one has to salute his smoothness.

Being of the female persuasion, I was curious to know what goes inside the mind of a man in the above situation. Whether the woman in the book planned her pregnancy (as a way to trap her man) or used the unexpected pregnancy (as a lever over her man), she was in the wrong. If a man doesn't want the child, he should be able to opt out in my way of thinking. I know it is a controversial issue, but still it is unfair to force one into an unwanted relationship or fatherhood. This is in fact the theme of the book and the all point of the story.

This is the story of DeShaun Childerns, a young black man who got tricked by a greedy woman. Deshaun isn't thinking about marriage or a serious relationship as yet and he is playing the field so to speak. He is out and about sowing his wild oats and damn the consequences. DeShaun is a smooth player and doesn't hesitate to butter up the girls in order to get into their drawers. He makes no bones about wanting sex only and is happy in his lots. That is till Tiffy enters the picture. Tiffy wants more than a fling and tries to hold into our hero by all means possible. DeShaun sees through her game and soon breaks up with her. He hooks up with another female who is more to his taste (and pockets) and forgets all about his ex- girlfriend.

One day out of the blue, his ex-girlfriend calls him and informs him she is pregnant. DeShaun is in shock and has no doubts that the baby isn't his. Even if the baby is his, he isn't ready to settle down yet (at least not with his ex) or becoming a dad. He feels trapped, and rightly so, and determined to do everything in his powers to get out of the trap. He plays the game and pretends to get along with Tiffy's plans, but secretly is thinking of ways to get out of the mess he is in. He bites his time and plays along to keep his head out of the water. Things go downhill in the baby shower (a party which his ex is hosting and in which an expectant mother is "showered" with gifts) when his Ex and his current girl butt heads. The protagonist has to overcome many hurdles and gets out of many awkward (though funny) situations to win the game. To find out what happened next or if he is indeed the dad, you will have to read the book…

The author certainly knows how to captivate his audience and to keep them interested right to the last page. The author did a good job of keeping up the suspense and till a certain point in the story I wasn't sure if the protagonist was the dad and what surprise will come next. I often chuckled to myself during the reading. I liked the humor of the author and the unique way he had of describing the scenes. Alas, the protagonist I liked less and even distaste to a point. I couldn't connect to him at all, though I sympathized with his situation. I found him to be shallow, vain hypocrite, and even a jerk at times. He didn't come out smelling good, though he was in the right. I liked his honesty though and found his voice original and refreshing.

That brings us to the writing. The writing style is chatty with the use of slang as befits a young man. This and the direct address to the reader throughout the story made the story more personal and authentic. It took me time to get used to the writing, but once I did the story sucked me in. Not many authors can pull this off without fallen into the stereotyping trap and the author managed to pull this off admirably.

The only issues I had with this book were that the sentences were a bit winded at times, there were some typos (r's replaced by v's) and the end was a bit abrupt. I also didn't like the hero, his outdated views about women and his wandering ways…I prefer more likeable heroes generally. There were also a lot of graphic language, profane language and redundant sex descriptions which may not suited a certain audience.

Saying that, overall I quite enjoyed this romp through the colorful mind of a male and recommend it. After giving it much though, I decided to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars due the originality of the premise, the subject matter and the style of writing. Any author who manages to cause me to feel that strongly about the hero and his situation worth his salt and deserves full points and kudos. If you ever wonder what goes through the mind of "Deadbeat Dad", and even if you didn't, don't miss out this book!

Buy "The Daddy Game" on Amazon
Buy "The Daddy Game" on Barnes and Noble
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
shadez
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2590">The Daddy Game</a>
Currently Reading: Zoo
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by shadez »

Gali, I truly thank you for taking the time to read my book and I cannot thank you enough for giving your honest and thoughtful (and positive) review! - You made my day!!!

Yours in Literary Appreciation,
SHADEZ
gali

Post by gali »

shadez wrote:Gali, I truly thank you for taking the time to read my book and I cannot thank you enough for giving your honest and thoughtful (and positive) review! - You made my day!!!

Yours in Literary Appreciation,
SHADEZ
Thank you kindly. I enjoyed reading your book. :)

Good luck with your book!
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I will have to look into this book! Sounds very interesting Gali!
gali

Post by gali »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:I will have to look into this book! Sounds very interesting Gali!
It is. Thank you :)
A retired Admin/Mod

ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

Okay, so rather than putting this on my "to-read" list it went on my "soon to buy" list. Lol. The premise looked interesting enough, but considering what you've said about it, and it's so inexpensive, I'm compelled to see for myself.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
gali

Post by gali »

ALRyder wrote:Okay, so rather than putting this on my "to-read" list it went on my "soon to buy" list. Lol. The premise looked interesting enough, but considering what you've said about it, and it's so inexpensive, I'm compelled to see for myself.
Thank you. Let me know what you think about it, if you read the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

marinalandry
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marinalandry »

What a great review, thank you! I have to say perhaps just hearing about the book wouldn't have me running to the store, thinking I have to read it but with your review I really do feel that way! Although controversial, it seems interesting to see the other side of those situations since typically it is only the females that we see, and also to laced with a little humor definitely makes it a must read! Thanks!
gali

Post by gali »

marinalandry wrote:What a great review, thank you! I have to say perhaps just hearing about the book wouldn't have me running to the store, thinking I have to read it but with your review I really do feel that way! Although controversial, it seems interesting to see the other side of those situations since typically it is only the females that we see, and also to laced with a little humor definitely makes it a must read! Thanks!
Thank you very much. :oops:

I also found it interesting to read the "other side" POV.
A retired Admin/Mod

pkramer08
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pkramer08 »

I would definintly read this book! I got pregnant at a very young age as well, and heard about how my babys dad didnt want to be come a father just yet. I would love to see what happens in the end, maybe it turns out like my story!
gali

Post by gali »

pkramer08 wrote:I would definintly read this book! I got pregnant at a very young age as well, and heard about how my babys dad didnt want to be come a father just yet. I would love to see what happens in the end, maybe it turns out like my story!
I hope you got your happy ending. Thank you for responding. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

What an honest and thorough review. I think I will enjoy it as I've always wondered what goes on in the mind of the man in this situation. Thanks to the author for putting this book out there for us women to peek into a man's mind. I know this is a touchy subject to many and I'm looking forward to reading it. Congrats on BOTD!
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Jemma Smith
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemma-smith.html

Post by Jemma Smith »

Great review of the book, you have made me want to read it! Honest and detailed. look forward to reading it!
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

The idea of getting into the mind of a deadbeat dad intrigued me enough to consider the OBC review. I predicted that the protagonist would be a word that rhymes with glass pole, but the book sounds interesting to say the least. Thanks for the thorough review!
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

Thank you very much for the review.
I agree with you in the graphic language and I didn't like the hero, either.
I think the way in which the story is told may be appealing for an audience, for it really sounds authentic the way the hero speaks and thinks. Not my cup of tea, but the 4 out of 4 review is a great achievement for the author.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”