Official Review: Fire and Ice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Official Review: Fire and Ice

Post by kismoody »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fire and Ice" by Shawn Hilton and Toni Force.]
Book Cover for 1075
Share This Review

Shawn Hilton and Toni Force’s Fire and Ice takes place in the year 2030 in a future America. In a world where Shapers and Vampire exist and are at odds with each other, comes a coyote and a wolf shaper. As adolescents they attempted to become each other mates, but were thwarted by another coyote. Now as adults, Scott and Armida are still very much attracted to each other. There are a few problems, however. Their races’ alliance is filled with tension and fragile in such a way that anything could upset it. To make things more complicate Scott thinks he’s dying, Armida has usurped herself to the level of Chieftess, and the other, original Chieftess is not happy. In addition the Jarl of New York, recently from which Scott’s pack took in some refugees, is determined to return to the old ways. The old ways where shapers were under the control the vampires. And, he has the help of some powerful vampire and other allies who are willing to back him up to the point of murder. With the body count growing and Scott and Armida unsure of which people are their enemies and which ones are their allies, will they succeed in saving their packs? Will they be able to foster their love or each other?

An extremely complex, well-developed plot for supernatural fans, this book is engaging and intriguing. The mix of romance, mystery, and adventure flowed well and craftily fit together. The varying plot lines and emotions are well-blended and do not overpower any aspect of the story. I also enjoyed the thought and depth that went in to creating the book’s paranormal world.

The world the author has created is vivid and fairly unique in its blend of characters and races. Most of the characters were well-developed and easily drew the reader into Scott and Armida’s world. The few that weren’t were fairly minor characters. The character and race dynamics make the characters likable and easy to sympathize with. I particularly liked Scott’s friend, Akala’s Demi-Fey wife, referred to as Larkspur. She reminded me a bit of Yoda from Star Wars.

Some problems with this book are that the plot, out of necessity, jumps between character point of views fairly quickly and made the story hard to follow. There were also some typos, but they didn’t detract too much from the story.

Overall, I’d give it 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story a lot despite a few problems with the characters and the following of the changing point of views. I would recommend it for fantasy and supernatural fans looking for a bit more complex, fairly original story.

Buy "Fire and Ice" on Amazon
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good. Great review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Shawn Hilton
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shawn Hilton »

Thank you for the review it was very well written and I am glad you enjoyed the book.
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

Thank you for the chance to read it. I already went and downloaded the other two ebooks on Amazon :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”