Miss. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FiremansWife
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firemanswife.html

Re: Miss. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Post by FiremansWife »

I must admit I have not read this book, but having read the posts above it is definitely on my list of books to read!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This was a very, very enjoyable book! I admire the author's creativity--that he could write a story around a bunch of random old pictures truly amazes me!

By the way, does anyone know when the movie will be released?
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Going to probably have to get this one to see what the to-do is about! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ROBBIESMOMMY
Favorite Author: Jessica Beck
Favorite Book: A Miracle for Miriam

Post by ROBBIESMOMMY »

A great first book. The story is based on a collection of vintage photographs. The pictures are scattered throughout the book and make it more of a multimedia experience. Each of the already creepy photographs have been worked into the story in a way that makes them have an even more bizarre meaning. It's a wonderfully dark fantasy, and I am looking forward to seeing more from this author.
Riggs spins a gothic tale of strangely gifted children and the monsters that pursue them from a set of eerie, old trick photographs. The brutal murder of his grandfather and a glimpse of a man with a mouth full of tentacles prompts months of nightmares and psychotherapy for 15-year-old Jacob, followed by a visit to a remote Welsh island where, his grandfather had always claimed, there lived children who could fly, lift boulders and display like weird abilities. The stories turn out to be true—but Jacob discovers that he has unwittingly exposed the sheltered "peculiar spirits" (of which he turns out to be one) and their werefalcon protector to a murderous hollowgast and its shape-changing servant wight. The interspersed photographs—gathered at flea markets and from collectors—nearly all seem to have been created in the late 19th or early 20th centuries and generally feature stone-faced figures, mostly children, in inscrutable costumes and situations.
farrellponcelet
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by farrellponcelet »

This book was recommended to me by a couple of my students. They came in for book talks and were fascinated not only by the descriptions, but by the visuals included (the pictures). I doubted whether or not I would enjoy this book because it appeared as more of a horror genre, however that was not the case. The creativity and storyline the author has used to create this journey of a boy to prove his sanity was unique. As a reader you are treated to a variety of emotions and situations as building acceptance and understanding is found and then trust is lost. This is a book I have gone on to recommend to my eighth grade students during the book talks I give as it does not just appeal to one specific audience, but to many. Those who are interested in fantasy and mystery are drawn in as are those who are struggling to find ways to fit in.
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

I love this book so much, and can't wait to sink my teeth into the sequel. The pictures and children were all utterly fascinating, and Miss Peregrine is a fantastic character, though we sadly don't learn as much about her as I would have loved to. Apparently there's a Tim Burton movie coming out of this? I'll have to look up more about that, because knowing Tim Burton's work the movie would be as fantastic as the book!
cfuller
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cfuller.html
Reading Device: B00QA0TPPK

Post by cfuller »

I really enjoyed this book. The photos really added some creepiness to the story in my opinion. I like how they fit right in to it though. Good book!
booksboomer

Post by booksboomer »

I have wanted to read this book for much time after my sister recomended it to me, but I afraid that if the book doesnt rise to my expectations I will put off books altogether.
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

I haven't actually read this book yet but I have it and it's next on my list to read
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
ConnorDiemer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connordiemer.html

Post by ConnorDiemer »

The most interesting thing for me about this book (novel 1) is the time travel, I have not yet read Hollow City, but I look forward to how they leapfrog into other times to visit other time loops. I'm especially interested to learn how knowledge is transferred from these loops, as most of them have come and gone (that's the reason they need to go back in time so they can access them I believe). I was quite curious to know why as soon as the loop stopped, they didn't meet Jacob's grandfather after he left the loop back when he was still a child. After all, if he left the loop after it was made, then he would have been there at the end of the story as time continues on. I hope I do not get distracted by time travel inconsistencies. I loved this story, and I would also rate it a 4 out of 5.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”