Miss. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BloggerFangirl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bloggerfangirl.html

Miss. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Post by BloggerFangirl »

Well, this book was really awesome and true to its name, peculiar. I loved the idea for this book, it was new and fresh. It was also terrifying, the characters were wonderful and had a lot of depth. I loved the pictures that were included, and the way that they were woven into the story. I can't wait for the movie thats directed by Tim Burton!!
Girlcoupon29

Post by Girlcoupon29 »

I, too, enjoyed this book! The photos are a great addition and helped paint a picture of the children mentioned in the book. Most of us only get to listen to our grandfathers stories, Jacob, got to experience and meet the people in his grandfathers tales. It was a unique storyline. I saw they made a second book, I cannot wait to read it.
Penny4yourthoughts
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny4yourthoughts.html

Post by Penny4yourthoughts »

I agree completely. This book kept me wanting more. I can't wait to read the sequel. The characters were so wonderful and each one warmed my heart in a different way. I also love that it was set during World War II. This period was so dark for so many people but the children found ways to live in that world everyday without losing their love of life.
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I knew nothing of the book, bought it for the pictures. Loved it but disappointed that its another series.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
Viviana_Ortiz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viviana-ortiz.html

Post by Viviana_Ortiz »

Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children is amazing with a lot of surprises and great and believable characters. The fact the in contains creepy and weird vintage photographs makes the story way better and makes you want to read it all as quickly as possible( which I Did). Warning Don't Judge the book by it cover. It looked creepy and scary but it turned out to be a great surprise. I really enjoy this odd but cool story.
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

I enjoyed it too and the photographs fascinated me as I do love old photographs.

The book got just a bit too fantastical at the end for my tastes though.
TerLab

Post by TerLab »

I loved, loved, loved this book. I always imagine characters and places when I read and I thought the pictures were a wonderful touch to help with the visual I had in my head. The storyline with the children and Miss. Peregrine was so full of life lessons. Loved it!
Enijmas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enijmas.html

Post by Enijmas »

I guess with all the hype I had seen online about it, I had hoped for more depth when reading the story; but I suppose that it is a decent Young Adult fantasy, with an easy to digest storyline and a feel-good children's empowerment-dream-come-true setting. The found pictures were beautifully woven into the story, and created such deep sense of curiosity for the real stories behind them.

Ultimately, it was a good read. (:
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

I have been contemplating picking it up - interesting cover. I will have to pick it up thanks for the reviews!
kerrigan31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kerrigan31.html

Post by kerrigan31 »

The old - timey photographs were what made me first reach for this book. I was hoping for a more eerie horror type novel. What I instead received was a strange and eerie adventure novel that was admittedly a little more elementary than I had hoped. However, I still loved it. I was quite let down upon finding that it was a series. I only hope the following novels don't hinder the quality of the series. I would recommend this for someone wanting a light yet entertaining read.
reginabally
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reginabally.html
Latest Review: "Death Takes A Lover" by Olivier Bosman

Post by reginabally »

This part is to review Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.

4/5 stars.

<b>Beware of spoilers</b>

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a story about a group of children with special abilities (for example an invisible boy, a girl who can control fire, a boy who can bring back the dead and more) who hide in a time loop to stay away from normal people which thought they're witches or ghosts and also to protect themselves from being hunted by the hollowgasts and wights. The loop is maintained by headmistress (or called ymbryne) called Miss Peregrine who can transform herself into bird form.

The main protagonist of the book is Jacob Portman whose grandfather, Abraham Portman used to live in the loop. Since young, Jacob was flooded with the stories and photos regarding the peculiar children. And one day, Abraham was killed in an awkward situation and Jacob saw the "monster" what killed his grandfather. Before Abraham died, he gave some hints to Jacob to locate the loop.

Somehow, Jacob managed to get into the loop "by accident" and met the headmistress as well as the peculiar children. During his encounter with the children, Jacob struggled in making decision whether to stay with them (in year 1940) or to go back to his own time (which is at the present time). Somehow, the antagonist (the wight) managed to slipped into the loop and kidnapped Miss Peregrine. The children want to rescue her but they doesn't know where she is...

I read the sequel before this, so when I read this book, the whole picture came clearer. Overall, this is a great story with time-traveling, gifted children with special abilities, horror of the hollows and wights, excitement of actions as well as romance between Jacob and Emma (the fire girl). But there's one thing I found it's quite illogical is, Emma used to be in love with Abraham (Jacob's grandfather) so how can she has crush on Jacob by meeting him only a few times? Anyway, I do enjoy reading this but not as good as the sequel - Hollow City. So I gave 4 stars out of 5 to this instead of full 5 stars for Hollow City.

This part is to review Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children #2) by Ransom Riggs.

5/5 stars.

First of all, I haven't read the first book, i.e. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children before I started with this book. But the photos in the first few pages of the book introduced me with the characters involved in the prequel as well as in this installment. I often flipped to the pages to remind myself on the unfamiliar character names and their peculiar abilities. Sorry to say that I didn't know the name of the main protagonist (who is also the narrator of the story) until I read about 20 pages.

The story begins with a group of peculiar children escaped from the island which their loop (the home for the peculiar children which is located in another dimension) was invaded by the wights. They traveled on boats, foot, Gypsies horses and trains to London wanting to save their ymbryne which turned into a bird form and its soul was trapped in it.

During the development of the story, I can see that Jacob (the narrator and the hero of the story) realized his ability and started to grow it until something he never expected, especially at the end of the book.

His relationship with Emma (the girl who can create fire with her hands) has a little bit of romance but something is also stopping them to proceed further. In the later part of the story, Emma and Jacob had a heart-breaking discussion on that.

Overall, the story is full of excitement with very special supporting characters in the story as well as the horror that is brought by the hollows and wights (which are the antagonists).

This book should be recommended to ALL readers because of the richness in the plot and of course, the special features in the book, i.e. the peculiar photos. The author did a good job in creating stories out of the photos he collected all these years from the flea markets.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

The thing that was the most interesting to me is that the author actually collected real photographs and put them together and formed the story around them. Cool and kinda creepy!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
reginabally

Post by reginabally »

amybo82 wrote:The thing that was the most interesting to me is that the author actually collected real photographs and put them together and formed the story around them. Cool and kinda creepy!
Another similar book is Asylum by Madeleine Roux, but not as much photos as MPHFPC.
A SAHM who reads and shares reviews on her blog.
Misslav20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misslav20.html

Post by Misslav20 »

I took one look at the cover and expected this book to be scary and creepy but i wasn't. I loved it and the story kind of takes you by the hand and leads you to these characters you grow to love, these images from old photos only enhance the experience for me. I'm looking forward and a bit worried about reading the next book when i get around to it.
reginabally

Post by reginabally »

Misslav20 wrote:I took one look at the cover and expected this book to be scary and creepy but i wasn't. I loved it and the story kind of takes you by the hand and leads you to these characters you grow to love, these images from old photos only enhance the experience for me. I'm looking forward and a bit worried about reading the next book when i get around to it.
If compared to MPHFPC, Hollow City (the 2nd book) is scarier and creepier to me.
A SAHM who reads and shares reviews on her blog.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”