Official Review: A Dreamer in Ashdown Forest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RILENTLISS
Favorite Author: Mealea Mathews
Favorite Book: Great Expectations
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rilentliss.html
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
fav_author_id: 1967

Official Review: A Dreamer in Ashdown Forest

Post by RILENTLISS »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Dreamer in Ashdown Forest" by Robert Isaac.]
Book Cover for 319
Share This Review

This work of fiction based on real events is truly a diamond in a coal mine. The story is about a young man who was "born on the football field, " who only ever aspired to be the greatest ball player there ever was. The young man practiced fervently, and while outshining most his teammates growing up, seemed to always evade any solid opportunities.

After a time, the young man, Jonathan Milton, eventually grows up into a responsible worker at his father's carpentry shop, graduates a university, and begins to resort to settling for less than worthwhile adventures by moving to the busy city of London, and away from his small town of Ashdown Forest, all the while never understanding why his talent was always overlooked by the scouts.

One day, a letter arrives at his home that promises to change his fate forever, offering him a newfound zealousness for his love of the game, if only he can overcome his greatest obstacle of all, his mother. Secrets are revealed, explanations become known, yet unbeknownst to Jonathan, and the "do or die" of a lifetime hangs in the balance. Will Jonathan get his chance for fame? The story peaks and ends with little overhang, and offers the reader contentment in its return to stasis, both practically and constructively. I give this book a 4 out of 4!

I chose the highest rating possible because, as a story, the narrator provides very colorful metaphor to deliver the characters' emotional states. Originally I felt the first two chapters dragged on pointlessly, but they turned out to be a setup for a shocking and truly engaging revelation. The plot reads true to life, and the reconciled conclusion is inspiring and moving.

The element that struck me most was Jonathan's unwavering commitment to live his dream, no matter how many times he had to start back at the drawing board. His character was truly iconic of the resilient hero who is humbled by his success because of his constant denial time after time. The most irritating element was the protagonist's mother, who had more than her fill of mischief and deception, all as an aim to selfishly keep her little boy close by.

Some of the themes included are that of determination, never giving up, as well as the potential detriment of an overprotective mother. This story can be grasped by audiences of all ages, providing lessons that each age group can benefit from. For a mother, the importance of letting a young man go, to take his own risks, at the potential gain of a happy life, as well as a young man learning that diligence in action can almost certainly lead to achievement of goals, and finally, how the role of a masculine figure can push a young man to brave fronts he may not of had the courage to brave otherwise.

Buy "A Dreamer in Ashdown Forest" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”