The Snow child by Eowyn Ivey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kateevelyne
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kateevelyne.html

The Snow child by Eowyn Ivey

Post by kateevelyne »

I read this book about a year ago, but it has a proud place in my favourite books section of the book shelves. Not only does it have a beautiful cover (the reason I picked it up in the first place :oops: !), but it is also a touching and cleverly written (almost) fairy tale.

The story begins tinged with a sadness that never quite leaves the characters as the book progresses. The main characters Jack and Mabel are introduced with into backdrop of cold, barren and unforgiving land of 1920's Alaska. A place that Jack and Mabel have moved themselves to in order to escape the coldness and barrenness of another sort. They are childless and remain childless, and this has left a deep sadness that they cannot shake, especially Mabel.

The story is interwoven with an old Russian fairy tale which Mabel remembers from her childhood and as the story progresses it is difficult to distinguish reality from the fairy tale. When Faina the snow child and her friend the fox enter their lives there is always a question as to whether she is real or not, and the story is left open for the reader to decide.
I love the magic and sadness of this tale, I loved the visual beauty depicted in the text of the land and of Faina's clothing, I also loved the relationship between Jack and Mabel, it was so real amidst all of the whimsical parts of the book.
If you appreciate metaphors, and don't need a solid ending, if you can cope with using your imagination, and are able to accept a little bit of surrealism then please pick up this book, it is a treasure.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”