The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KDrake
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdrake.html

Re: The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Post by KDrake »

I enjoyed both series. Prefer Hunger Games if I had to choose. Partly because I read that first and so I compared Divergent to Hunger Games. I think Hunger Games was easier to relate to in away. Although they went to the Games the world outside seemed more realistic. In divergent the factions were confusing at first then all the simulations seemed unrealistic. I am more of a practical reader and so I got turned off a little when things got sci-fi-ish
nohelanib
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nohelanib.html

Post by nohelanib »

I can say that I read The Hunger Games series in about five days. I picked up the first book as something to do while at my in-law's house, and I was hooked. I haven't read the Divergent Series yet, but after reading some of your comments I'm feeling more inclined to do so. I'm glad to see that they aren't the same message and story line, because the commercials that I've seen for Divergent make it look like another version of The Hunger Games movies. All that being said, I would have to agree with AmandaR in not comparing books. Yes they might be similar, but every book is its own and has its own intentions. I think you should only compare a book to itself and whether or not it succeeded or failed at what it was trying to accomplish, but that's just my thoughts on it. I am excited to pick up the Divergent Series now!
amfrancis
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amfrancis.html

Post by amfrancis »

I haven't been enticed to read Divergent because I'm heard that it is way to close to The Hunger Games
keeopendoor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keeopendoor.html

Post by keeopendoor »

I've read both, but they aren't too similar. They seem alike because they are meant to appeal to the same audience. Both have heroines that overcome a more intelligent powerful source. But they aren't the same exact work. If you read one, you should try th other though.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I enjoyed both, but I preferred Divergent. It seemed more plausible.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
booklover77
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: Twilight Series
Currently Reading: Splintered
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover77.html
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by booklover77 »

I loved the Hunger Games Series and flew through all 3 books. Divergant
was written well also and being from Chicago I loved seeing this and could imagine all the places they
were talking about. I am partial to Hunger games as well because all 3 books held me captive as to where
Divergent started losing my interest in the last book
mathman101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mathman101.html

Post by mathman101 »

WOW! These book series have been compared so much that I am hearing it everywhere. I think that they are both good, but in different ways. Divergent has more of a less rebellious story, but still has conflicts within it. The Hunger Games is more focused on rebels and the capital.
AddisoMLeo

Post by AddisoMLeo »

I read both "The Hunger Games" and "Divergent" and I feel that Divergent's characters are a lot more relatable and have more scenarios that people can see happening soon. Hunger Games, on the other hand, is more of the action... Battle Royale sort of things that people love. I am a little more linear to Divergent because I can relate, but people have opinions and there's no changing that.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I really enjoyed both series. They are very similar, yes, but I think if I had to chose I would select The Hunger Games, only because I felt it pushed the boundaries a little more and set the stage for what Divergent became.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
DaynamicDuo

Post by DaynamicDuo »

If I had to choose, I'd pick The Hunger Games. Something about it left my mind reeling and I literally couldn't put the book down. It made me really consider societal hardships. Many people have the misconception that The Hunger Games is a love story--but it's not. It's about a strong female character, making it through a situation where all odds are against her. On the contrary, I felt the Divergent series was more of a love story. I love both book series' and I found them rather enjoyable, but The Hunger Games is something I know I'll want to read again and again.
avelchamy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avelchamy.html

Post by avelchamy »

I read the Hunger Games series first and only recently read Divergent, and one of the things I immediately noticed was the difference in writing style and technique. To be frank, Divergent simply is not written as well as the Hunger Games—at least not the first one. Divergent also started out very different from the Hunger Games and seemed to have a strong original story going, up until about half way through the book when I started realizing how it went down the same path as the Hunger Games. One of the problems I saw with the Hunger Games was that while the first book was good and the second was decent, the third in the trilogy seemed to be rushed and flustered, like Collins hadn't decided how to end it before writing the book. I haven't finished Roth's series so I can't attest to that yet in her novels, but just looking at the first book, the pace was so quick at the end that it seemed to echo that hurried oh my god how do I end this sentiment that the Hunger Games series seemed to have. I was not a huge fan of Divergent. I thought the idea was a good one, but that it was not evolved and written as well as it could have been.
booksfull_
Favorite Author: Too Many
Favorite Book: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Braken
Currently Reading: Horde by Ann Aguirre

Post by booksfull_ »

I haven't read the Hunger Games...yet! I plan to read in by the end of May. I have however read Divergent and loved it. Divergent was something that is more likely to happen in our society. I am so glad there wasn't a love triangle and wasn't as much death. I fell in love with Tobias' undying love for Tris. I didn't really like her in the 3rd book, Allegiant, though and I'm not quite sure why but oh well. overall a great series!
bookw0rmtales

Post by bookw0rmtales »

I absolutely loved both these series, both so intense, excellently written and ugh I just LOVED them. I don't think they should be compared because they're just so different! The detail and writing is so brilliant in the hunger games, I could picture everything so clearly! But the whole love triangle thing got on my nerves, did anyone else get that?
Whereas in Divergent it was still a clever plot line but there was less detail and imagery for me. However I connected to the characters more. (yes I was sort of in love with Tobias).
I read both of these way before the films were out and choosing between them is like trying to choose a favourite child, I just cant! (I just love my books like children, does that make me crazy?)
Book-obsessed
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Graffiti Moon
Currently Reading: Opal
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-obsessed.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Book-obsessed »

I personally think the Hunger Games is much better than Divergent, although I love Divergent. It just doesn't seem like Tris really goes through that much character development, and Veronica Roth didn't really explain the world as well as she could have. It seemed like something was lacking and she couldn't make up her mind about what the plot should be.
Crap happens; it's inevitable, it's a part of life. You can't let it destroy though, you learn to be stronger and wiser through the crappy things that happen.
boobearsman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boobearsman.html

Post by boobearsman »

I want to read Divergent, but THG books were good, the movie wasnt all that, but the books were pretty good, still haven't had the chance to read Divergent trilogy

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”