Review of book 'The Friday Gospels'

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
neha+thomas+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-thomas.html

Review of book 'The Friday Gospels'

Post by neha+thomas+ »

I’ve just completed reading ‘the Friday gospels’ by Jane Ashworth. I haven’t read her previous book but I liked this one, it is about a family who are Mormons .
Her description of each character is very detailed , helps you understand their mood and it flows smoothly between the characters, their thoughts and fears .This helps as the entire book is about one day in their lives .
The family is held together by the mother, she has a very strong personality coupled with her strong faith in her religion but also conscious of her and her family’s image in their community, the father tries to balance the family's budget and expenses, he also struggles to keep his emotions and feelings balanced as well. The book is also about the three children who have their own battles with their personalities and with each other.
I like the book because even though it is about complex subjects like religion and relationships it is not preachy or judgemental but just very simple. The book is not just about black and white but mostly about the grey that we have in our personalities and how we cope with it in situations.
I was surprised for a young lady like, the author is very sure about what her book must convey and does not get carried away with any topic, each character feels like she has breathe life into them with her choice of words to describe them and their feelings .It is an interesting yet sensitive book with a very surprising ending.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”