Official Review: Back To Woolstock by Clay Reston

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Official Review: Back To Woolstock by Clay Reston

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Back To Woolstock" by Clay Reston.]
Book Cover for 570
Share This Review

The comedy of "Back to Woolstock- The Search for the Man in Dark Brown" is entertaining for sure. There's much to chuckle and smile about as we read through the history of the scowling town of "The Man in Dark Brown's" origin, such as the words on ochre, the crop around which Woolstock's culture revolves, and the portraits of the residents, each in his or her own way eccentric enough to be significant for little more than a laugh and a roll of the eyes. Reston sees to it there is never an altogether dry moment to be found in his narrative, though his subject be one of little or no fascinating qualities. There is nothing here of that experimentation we're used to seeing in the works of most first- time or up- and- coming authors, but he has succeeded at spinning captivating fiction on wit alone.

It's said that a prophet is hated in the city of his birth. Apparently musical celebrity doesn't make one any more favorable to his folks when his folks are from Woolstock. Reston cleverly creates the golden reputation of his phantom musician, Marvis Jedd, who never quite makes an appearance in the story, but whose history and former connections drive the plot. Reston casts himself as one of Jedd's admirers who happens to originate there and, as in the case of anyone who makes it out, doesn't wish to go back. He revisits the town despite himself to interview its inhabitants about its "favorite son," the journalist he's become having taken hold. In short, the idea is one of the least coherent possible. We wonder by the end of the story why he'd expect anything less than the boot when mentioning Jedd's name to anyone there.

Reston demonstrates skill at manipulating his readers toward his side on matters. His use of description is quite effective. As a 'for instance,' we have the case of the bowl of ochre at the Kravneys'. He tells us:
"How does that old song go? "I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a fork and speared an elusive green vegetable swimming in its own mucus, I brought it haltingly to my mouth, all the while determined that I wouldn't retch and blow my chances for an interview with the two people who knew M. J. better than anyone else..."

His repetition is effective, if sometimes a bit overused, to give us a complete picture of Woolstock, with its overpowering sourness and many, many pigeons, and while he doesn't seem to have a complete grasp of the 'how to's' when it comes to separating chapters, and there are a few moments where we are 'told' and not 'shown' what's going on, he moves us through the narrative fluidly and with careful thought. We are relieved for him when he concludes the story with his departure, writing: "The skies were clear ahead, and the relief that comes with leaving engulfed my body and my soul. The birds had splattered their final goodbyes, and now I was just one strong car wash away from normal."

This is the perfect book for any reader who loves to laugh his way through a story. Reston makes no pretense of being a truly "inspired" writer, but ingenuity is his game. I'd therefore give this, his first attempt at literary accomplishment, three out of four stars, and my recommendation.

Buy "Back To Woolstock" on Barnes and Noble
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Clay Reston
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Clay Reston »

Thank you so much for reviewing my book.

This was my first attempt at writing fiction, and I really do appreciate your comments.

I do want to point out, however, that the crop in Woolstock is "okra" - not "ochre". :-)
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Hey, Clay...

It was my pleasure to review your book. I've read quite a bit of comedy in my life, and yours was some funny stuff. My apologies for the "ochre" mistake. :P I think there was a dirt stain on my English. :D

I read the endnotes. I like to write music, too. I haven't published any of it, but it's a hobby. I love music more than any other art in the world. Of course, writing is a very close second. :D I always like to think that writing a story is the same as composing a song. Hypnotic melody and rhythm are essential to either endeavor. I could definitely hear music in your phrases, and was very glad to. Keep at it, Clay!
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”