Official Review: Holly(Woods) by Naomi Laeuchli

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
saouad
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saouad.html
Latest Review: "Holly(Woods)" by Naomi Laeuchli

Official Review: Holly(Woods) by Naomi Laeuchli

Post by saouad »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Holly(Woods)" by Naomi Laeuchli.]
Book Cover for 1616
Share This Review

Holly(Woods) by Naomi Laeuchli is the first of a series of novels originally published on the author’s blog.

The novel’s eponymous protagonist is a young girl whose pursuit of acting in Hollywood leads her to meet and work with seasoned actors and celebrities.

One such acquaintance is the now aged and good-humouredly jaded actress Evelyn Martin, who helps Holly navigate her first forays into acting; another is Peter, a has-been actor some dozen years her senior who befriends her whilst otherwise shying away from members of the industry. Lending Holly’s character a more grounded background, however, is her roommate Amy, an aspiring baker, with whom she shares a studio apartment.

The whole makes for somewhat of an idyllic plotline that nevertheless gels due in part to well-defined characters and the thriller-like subplot that develops around Peter’s character.

As a parallel plot, the novel tells the story of troubled, young pop star Nikki Steele, who hires kind-hearted paparazzo Clint Morgan on a whim. The plot then follows the paparazzo-turned-manager’s attempts at reshaping his client’s public image, all of which meet with unmitigated success. Though sprinkled with instances of Nikki’s self-doubt and celebrity-manager spats, this plotline is overall less successful –or substantial. Though characterization is rounded out with Nikki’s insecurity and Clint’s repressed guilt, the absence of tangible obstacles fails to raise the stakes, making the plot feel a little too bare bones.

The novel’s style is sleek and edited, which contributes to making the novel an easy read. In fact, the novel is quite carefully worded, making for a pristine style completely without tedious descriptions or distracting turns of phrase. Naomi Laeuchli’s style in this novel is truly a case of style serving the subject, and not the other way around.

Overall, Holly(Woods) is a light but carefully crafted novel, with a dark undertone that emerges in the second half of the book around Peter's character. Sure to find an audience, the novel is fantasy-fulfilling and modern in its treatment of celebrity and pop culture. What may initially seem to be a very light read does show signs of obscuring into a thriller and opening up into a series by the novel’s end.

I give Holly(Woods) a three out of four star rating, as it is successfully engrossing. Though perhaps a crowd-pleasing topic, it is well-executed and does deliver more substance than the reader initially expects.
I would be interested in, and would look forward to, reading the sequel.

Buy "Holly(Woods)" on Amazon
NaomiL
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NaomiL »

Thank you so much for your review! I really appreciate the time you put into it and it definitely made my day to read!
Grand Turc

Post by Grand Turc »

Interesting... based on the title, I am a little sceptical. Would you think that the novel would appeal to men?
NaomiL

Post by NaomiL »

Grand Turc wrote:Interesting... based on the title, I am a little sceptical. Would you think that the novel would appeal to men?
Hey! The author here! While I'd definitely be interested to know how saouad would answer this, I thought I'd give a response too.

While I would say the target audience does lean more towards women then men, most of my readership has oddly enough been male. As stated in the review by saouad, I did originally publish the novel through my blog, and I promoted it through the web fiction community, which does mostly seem to be male. So I've gotten quite a few comments that ran along the lines of: 'This really isn't normally my genre, but somehow it worked for me and I really liked it'
I'm paraphrasing of course.

If you're at all interested in giving it a read, you could Private Message me your email, and I'd be happy to send you a complimentary copy in either pdf or .epub format.
saouad
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saouad.html

Post by saouad »

Hi Grand Turc, hi Naomi,

Apologies for the late response. I agree with NaomiL -I think the novel's male characters (especially Peter), are strong enough to sustain the interest of male readers. I think the thriller-like subplot will also draw in male readers who might otherwise be less interested in Hollywood culture.

I have to admit though, I didn't imagine that the blog version had such a dominantly male readership! It's definitely an interesting insight into the novel and its reception. Thanks for the feedback!
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

NaomiL wrote: So I've gotten quite a few comments that ran along the lines of: 'This really isn't normally my genre, but somehow it worked for me and I really liked it'
I'm paraphrasing of course.
This is something I love about this site. I have a tendency to experiment more with what I read on here, and have actually found some amazing books I never would have read had I been searching on my own. This isn't a genre I would probably go for, but with such an amazing review on here perhaps I will come around to it in the future.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”