Official Review: Woman with Doll and Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Official Review: Woman with Doll and Other Stories

Post by casper »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Woman with Doll and Other Stories" by Joan Slowey.]
Book Cover for 1343
Share This Review

This is a collection of nineteen short stories all set in the same small town on the north Irish coast. They are woven together not only by the shared location, but also by the characters who pop up in each other's stories, and the common theme of people struggling in one way or another with the situation in which they find themselves.

It would take too long to describe each one in detail and introduce all the often weird and wonderful characters that people them, like self sufficient Rosemary who has arranged her life just as she wants it until her sister comes to stay; Sadie with her dreams of romance and marriage; and cat-obsessed Myrtle who has her own dark secret. For me, one of the most poignant stories is 'Andy' with its tale of thwarted plans and broken dreams.

Set in a time when family ties are very strong and domestic violence is common, drama and emotions run deep below the surface of their apparently humdrum lives; substrata of helplessness, hopelessness and the need to escape lead to alcoholism, suicide and even murder. To me the stories conveyed a feeling of the isolation of the individuals and their inability to communicate with each other, in spite of the fact that in some cases they have lived together so long and know each other so well they think they can read each other without words.

Contrasting with this is the power of one person to influence another, and how the choices that each one makes will affect others as well as themselves; one single, simple action can have far reaching, unforeseen repercussions far beyond the original intention, such as Hilary's practical joke in 'Haunted'.

The characterisation is good and I could often hear their voices speaking through the pages. They are a realistic mixture of heroic, vengeful, deceitful, weak, hopeful, despairing and manipulative, and range from mildly eccentric to the positively psychotic. The author shows us them from the inside so we can get beyond the stereotypes (such as the bullying husband) and see them as they view themselves even if we do not approve of them. They all have flaws, which makes them seem more real and believable, and the reader can understand the emotions and frustrations they feel in dealing with the world around them.

She has created some particularly strong, occasionally domineering, women who find very inventive ways to cope with the problems they are presented with, some are openly intimidating while others are deviously manipulative, some find the courage to make changes and others are just unable to take up the chance to escape.

Some of the stories are rather bleak, reflecting the lives and circumstances of the characters, but, having said that, I enjoyed reading them as they are very well written and I could sense an Irish-ness in the dialogue and descriptions. There are some clever twists when deceptions are found out, shams exposed or when people make the choice to radically change things, and several stories finish on a positive or unexpected note.
I officially rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, but would rate it 3.5 stars if possible.

Buy "Woman with Doll and Other Stories" on Amazon
Buy "Woman with Doll and Other Stories" on Barnes and Noble
Primrose
Currently Reading: The Rottweiler
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Primrose »

Thanks a million for this review. I'm delighted with it.
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html

Post by casper »

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. I must say I did enjoy reading your stories - very thought provoking. Do you know all those people? :)
Primrose

Post by Primrose »

Only in my head!
neha+thomas+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-thomas.html

Post by neha+thomas+ »

Looks like an interesting book, should try to get it.
CapeBretonBookLover
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Green Hell by Steve Milloy
Currently Reading: Dreamcatcher by Stephen King

Post by CapeBretonBookLover »

Sounds really good, I might pick it up on Amazon sometime! And I don't usually judge books by the cover but the cover really has a mysterious appearance, as does the title, it really draws me in to buy it. :)
Primrose

Post by Primrose »

I hope you will be mightily entertained!
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

Gotta have those short stories on the kindle, and this looks like a great book of them.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
TiffanyJade
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyjade.html
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis

Post by TiffanyJade »

Sounds like a good read. I might add it to my "to read" mental list.
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis
Eve-Olsen2005
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eve-olsen2005.html

Post by Eve-Olsen2005 »

I love a good collection of short stories in a book! Thank you for writing this review and thank you to the author for writing the book!
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

This looks interesting, good review!!
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
wrnolin

Post by wrnolin »

Enjoy good short stories from time to time, this might get added to my list as well.
clockwork360
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Favorite Book: Angels and Demons
Currently Reading: The visual Investor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clockwork360.html
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by clockwork360 »

Not usually my cup of tea, the reviewer does a great job of explaining the premise of the stories that intertwine. So well written that I know I would pick this one up in an instant (maybe even considering) because it kind of reminds me of a movie I once watched called Crash where it focuses on many different stories (peoples lives) that at one point or another intersect and cause a ripple effect that keeps you hooked on the plot. I'm sure this is similar and that is what grabs my interest. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”