Official Review: For the Love of Laurel by Patricia Harreld

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
claire mckay
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-mckay.html
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine

Official Review: For the Love of Laurel by Patricia Harreld

Post by claire mckay »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "For the Love of Laurel" by Patricia Harreld.]
Book Cover for 1598
Share This Review

For the Love of Laurel is a romantic thriller about a wealthy young woman called Laurel Avidon who has just lost her father. She is trying to come to terms with his death but begins to discover that her father and his life may not be as it seemed. In fact, everywhere she turns she finds more lies, intrigue and danger. She is also increasingly distracted by his rather attractive chauffeur/bodyguard who has secrets of his own.

I enjoyed this book as it was interesting, had strong characters and a fast pace that kept you engaged with the story. Laurel is a bit pampered and spoilt and has been trying to rebel against her controlling father, including starting her own private investigator business. She can be frustrating and thoughtless at times as she heads off into danger but I liked that about her. She isn't a perfect heroine and of course she might behave erratically sometimes as her whole world starts to crumble around. I particularly liked that she wasn't as good at Tae Kwon Do as she thought and also her reaction towards the end of the book in the dining room was very realistic and well written.

Dylan is the other main character in the story and although he is more your typical strong macho male lead, he is very likable and sensitive. His evolving relationship with Laurel draws you into the story and kept me turning the pages to see what happened between them.

The plot was good and I loved the twist mid way through the book. It was intelligently written in a low key way that gave it greater impact and I certainly didn't see it coming! However, I did have issue with some of the other characters and plot lines. The investigator Mike turns up at the funeral with an old newspaper article and sparks off the feeling of mystery but he goes nowhere in the story. In fact the whole book could have done without him as Laurel finds the same article in her fathers' affairs. It was a huge coincidence that Mike decided to look into this unsolved crime and he serves no real purpose. Also the involvement of the plastic surgeon, Dr Gunderson, seemed off key. By another coincidence his wife comes to ask Laurel to investigate if he was having an affair which leads Laurel to discover new information about her father as the two knew each other. It turns out that the doctor was involved with the mysterious scheme but only in the capacity of a plastic surgeon so it doesn't really make sense that he would be involved with other details of the day to day investigation and sending emails about them.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars as I enjoyed it and it held my interest throughout. The characters were well written as was the relationship between Laurel and Dylan. The style is similar to Mary Higgins Clark although I preferred Patricia Harreld as I found her plot a bit less predictable and the characters less stereotypical. I'd recommend this book as a good romantic thriller and I would be interested in reading more of her books.

Buy "For the Love of Laurel" on Amazon
Jambkle8
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jambkle8 »

Claire, thank you so much for the wonderful review! Your criticisms were valid and I wonder why I couldn't see them. Too close to it, I guess.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good. Thank you for the review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
claire mckay

Post by claire mckay »

You're very welcome Patricia! Thanks for your comments, that's very nice of you!
jschrage
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jschrage »

So many times, when reading in this genre, I become disenchanted with the straight forward simplicity of the plot, so, I, too, loved the twists in this plot and to my delight, it is not the only book she has out. If you want an historic, romantic, time travel plot, with enough twists and turns to satisfy - try her "Red, White and You." I guarantee you will not be sorry. Patricia Harreld is a first class story teller and an excellent writer.
claire mckay

Post by claire mckay »

I enjoyed the way she wrote especially the nicely delivered twist so I would definitely be interested in reading another of her books. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have a look soon - and welcome to the forum!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”