Official Review: Sticks - A Golfer's Tale by Walt Sautter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hendmosaad89
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hendmosaad89.html
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright

Official Review: Sticks - A Golfer's Tale by Walt Sautter

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sticks - A Golfer's Tale" by Walt Sautter.]
Book Cover for 1070
Share This Review

First I would like to start by writing the book's surface details. It is fiction, it is third-person narration, it is appropriate for young adults expect for a few cursing words in the beginning of the book, it's written in a good medium pace and finally it is short. I would give this book 2 star out of 4 stars.

I would like to say "a long story short"…. But I have to admit that it's already a really short book so I will try to summarize it without giving too any spoilers. The story is about a man named Bob Andrews that just loves playing Golf but doesn't have the talent to be good at it. So when he purchases' a very expensive set of golf clubs and continues to play poorly; he breaks them in a tantrum and cuts off playing golf for the rest his life, then one day he meets an old man who used to be a Golf club maker and suddenly his life just turns upside down.

Let's get a bit deeper to the maker of this book. The author is Walt Sautter, he has written six other books and I haven’t read any of his books except this one. This book is half good and interesting and the other half is just BAD. I liked that in the prologue the author wrote all the common definitions of the terms used in Golf such as "par" and "birdie" to provide a familiar environment for readers who don’t know golf, to somehow form a relation with the reader. He was being funny by adding a few cursing words that indicate a bad score, and I liked that, so that encouraged me to proceed with reading the book. I also liked that the story had a vibe of mystery from start to finish, the story-line wasn't repeated and it had small twists and turns, it would be a good short book for a summer time, and surprisingly it wasn't boring.

But I must say that there were lots of negative aspects in this book. For starters there were some grammar and spelling mistakes and the style of writing was at times confusing. But the things that matter the most to me were the complete lack of a main idea and a theme, I couldn't grasp the purpose of writing the book. There was no value or point or concept or situation or tragedy to learn something from, just a series of real events written with a hint of fiction.

I believe that any good book should raise any emotions during reading it such as anger, pain, happiness, curiosity and so on; a book should be your escape from you real life and a place to sink into the infinity of the story you are currently living in. And this book didn't raise any of them in me or do that to me. A fiction book should portray and magnifies a writer's imagination; in setting, language, character's background. I felt no imagination in this book. The author failed to connect me with any of the characters; I had no insight about who they really are other than the already known from the surface. For me the main character was portrayed as a selfish, cheater that only wanted to be the best golf player in any expense. The ending left me stunned even though it was definitely not expected, it still wasn't welcomed.

The book was starting out good but gradually became less and less interesting for me. It would have been a great book if it wasn't fiction. It could have been a funny biography of some famous golf player who had a new unique experience with golf and that would be a nice read for golf fans. At last I would like to advice the author to concentrate more on displaying the theme, the main idea and some depth to the characters to relate to them in any way in his future books.

Buy "Sticks - A Golfer's Tale" on Amazon
walt sautter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by walt sautter »

Firstly, I would like to sincerely thank you for reviewing "Sticks" I appreciate your time and effort. I am sure much of your criticism is deserved. I know there are numerous technical errors but I don't have the funds to have the book professionally edited.
I'm not sure if you are a golfer?
The book was written to subtly point out a common misconception about the game which is held by many golfers (I frequently play with many of them).
Buying fancy, high priced, over hyped equipment will not result in significantly better play. Magical clubs are the only thing that could possibly improvement a golfer's skill without requiring hours of practice and innate talent.
This is the theme of the book.
As far as Bob being a selfish, cheating golfer, a large segment of serious golfers aptly fit this description. This kind of attitude is far from unusual when it comes to golf
I think you might have read the story assuming that is would be about real golf. In actuality it is a satire. Again,it is based on the absurdity of average and poor golfers falling for the purchase of outrageously priced equipment believing that it will really make them superior players.
The book is purposely short. Most of the golfers that I know would want to spend more time playing and less time reading. I tried to make it just long enough to get my point across and provide some entertainment in so doing.
Again, thanks a million for your review. I will rework the book when I have the opportunity based on your criticisms and suggestions.
If you would like to write back to me I will be very interested in any of your additional comments.
Hendmosaad89
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hendmosaad89.html

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

I want to thank you for your explanations and futher elaborations about golf society. No I am not a golfer, and I have no true insights about golfers' atitudes and perceptions about the game. Which is why I think making me smile and intrested in some parts throughout the book is a sign of success that says you are a good writer. I didnt understand the reason why the selfish cheater hero received such a gift. Even though I was disappointed that such a hero had his happy ending that he didnt deserve, I still liked some parts of the book and liked your humor. Thanks again for your reply and I hope YOU above all believe I reviewed your book honestly and truthfully.
walt sautter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by walt sautter »

I do believe that you did and once again I thank you for your time and effort spent in my behalf. I am going to work on your suggested improvements. Thanks again.
Walt S.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”