Official Review: Fifty-Fifty and Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
soccerstar95
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerstar95.html
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot

Official Review: Fifty-Fifty and Other Stories

Post by soccerstar95 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fifty-Fifty and Other Stories" by Matthew W. McFarland.]
Book Cover for 1372
Share This Review

Fifty/Fifty and Other Stories is a collection of 11 short stories written by Northern Irish author Matthew McFarland. His latest book is Liar and Other Stories.

Although I’m not one to read short stories of any kind, I have to say that I absolutely enjoyed reading most of these. There were four stories which I couldn’t really get into because I didn’t find them as compelling as the others. Regardless, the stories are very descriptive and it is easy to picture everything the characters are feeling, thinking, or seeing at the moment. A few of the stories, one in particular, are just good fun. However, the majority of the stories are straightforward yet thought provoking. Saints and Streetlights, for instance, is about a man who takes a taxi and engages in a conversation about religion with the taxi driver who has had a spiritual experience.

Most of the stories are about everyday life. For instance, Lansdowne Road, is about the first rugby game the narrator experienced as a child. It’s the kind of story that lets readers recall similar experiences that they have had, even if it’s for different sports. A few of the stories, while dark, seem completely plausible. In The Seventeenth Door, a census collector falls victim to cannibals while in Defenestration a man is pushed out of a window.

None of the stories are very long, about 2-3 pages. A few of the stories were a little bit longer. However, each of them are worth reading because they can hold the reader’s attention. I have to say that my favorite was The Seventeenth Door, even if I was horrified and had to collect my thoughts before proceeding. Regardless, some of the stories do offer little life lessons, which are really common sense that everybody should know anyhow.

Overall, I think it’s a good book that everyone will enjoy, regardless of what they typically read. It flows well and has a good style of writing. I would rate this book a 3 out of 4 because it has really good stories. The only reason I wouldn’t give it a 4 is because I didn’t like all of the stories. I would recommend this book to anyone because it’s a well written book that will offer a little bit for any reader. Also, those that enjoy reading slice-of-life short stories will probably enjoy this book. I have to add that I wouldn’t mind reading another of Mr. McFarland’s books.

Buy "Fifty-Fifty and Other Stories" on Amazon
Buy "Fifty-Fifty and Other Stories" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”