Official Review: Only a Dream by Jazz Singh

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LadyErynn10
Favorite Book: Harper Hall of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyerynn10.html
Latest Review: "Beware the Well Fed Man" by Chris Capps

Official Review: Only a Dream by Jazz Singh

Post by LadyErynn10 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Only a Dream" by Jazz Singh.]
Book Cover for 1597
Share This Review

Only a Dream is a classic love story between Rhea and Varun, two modern Indians working in the hotel business. Although their love seems perfect in the beginning, not everything is what it seems. The novella begins when Varun comes back into Rhea's life, wreaking havoc on her emotions although it's been six years since she's seen him last. The turmoil she feels lasts throughout the story, bringing the reader into a world of betrayal, blinding hurt, lost love, and painful memories.

The dialogue is engaging and allows the character's personalities to show through their attitude when speaking. The narrations were woven together nicely, and you had little trouble distinguishing who's point of view you were reading at the time. The description was well done, and you could clearly see the world around them. There were details about their houses, clothing and even the jewelry they wore. It made the story easy to read, and did a good job of keeping you interested without overcrowding your senses.

Character development was subtle, which I think is normal in most love stories. Love creeps up on the person, slowly changing them into someone different, and I believe the author captured this fairly well. Also, the main character's are flawed, which helps the readers identify with their story better. They exhibit stubbornness, pride, vanity, and anger. They make the wrong decisions, and we love them better for it. We want them to succeed, because if they can succeed in love, so can we.

Unfortunately, no story is completely without fault. Firstly, I found one or two incomplete sentences while reading, and while they don't damage the story, they do force the reader to pause and fill in the blank. Second, some of the dialogue was repetitious. I understand how giving Rhea a specific phrase can show bitterness, but after a while you end up frustrated with her when you're supposed to be sympathizing. Maybe rewording it to give the same impact without using the same words would have been more effective. And Third, she uses a lot of traditional Indian words, but we don't know what they represent. A guide at the back explaining what those words mean would be beneficial for the reader so they can understand the full story without having to pause and look the word up.

Only a Dream is a new twist on an old plot line, and I believe it was well done. I rate this book 3 out of 4. I give it a 3 because of the problems listed above. Other than that, I really enjoyed reading the love story that is Only a Dream.

Buy "Only a Dream" on Amazon
"We have to fight for our place in this world. To be equal with a man, one must be so much better, so much more clever."- From the Silk Vendetta by Victoria Holt.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

You entered this into the database as 4 out of 4.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
LadyErynn10
Favorite Book: Harper Hall of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyerynn10.html

Post by LadyErynn10 »

Sorry it's a 3 of 4
"We have to fight for our place in this world. To be equal with a man, one must be so much better, so much more clever."- From the Silk Vendetta by Victoria Holt.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

This looks like something lovers of the genre would enjoy, especially because of what you mentioned about going into detail but not too much. I think that's good to note in any genre of book. Tedious details can really get in the way of a good plot, but you still want to be able to see the full picture.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”