Official Review: Tribalism by Clarence Mason

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sketched_Out
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketched-out.html
Latest Review: "Tribalism" by Clarence Mason

Official Review: Tribalism by Clarence Mason

Post by Sketched_Out »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tribalism" by Clarence Mason.]
Book Cover for 100
Share This Review

Tribalism is a fiction novel written by Clarence Mason about slavery in America. Tribalism would be a suitable read for older teenagers and young adults although anyone above this age category would probably also find it interesting. Within the book the author provides some history about slavery which readers may or may not have known much about.

Jordan, the main character of the book, is a rebellious teenager who does not respect his family or elders and prefers to hang out with his gang mates. Based in the year 2007, Jordan and his gang sell drugs on a corner of his neighbour hood. To get more money they begin to think up plans to rob a local store. Jordan believes more money could buy him freedom but he soon discovers that’s not true. When escaping from the crime scene, the shop owner shoots Jordan in a mysterious field called “The Pass”. Jordan is then magically transported back in time to the slavery plantation era. When on the plantation Jordan learns some important life lessons which he wishes he had known prior to his attempted robbery.

I did not really enjoy the book although did find it educational. It could have been improved by creating better descriptions of characters as I found that I wasn’t really able to see the characters in my mind. Although saying that, I think the character I liked best was Jordan’s uncle, Thomas. Uncle Thomas is depicted as a wise man that is trying to guide Jordan’s life and decisions and at a point in the story, he succeeds. Another thing I did not like about the book is that it was rather lengthy, particularly the beginning. Considering the plot, I believe the book was too long and should be shorter to make it more interesting.

Although I didn’t really enjoy the book, I am sure others might. I believe teenagers who live in a developed country would also learn a lot from reading this book. I was glad to see there were not too many grammatical errors although there were a few, the book was still readable.

I gave this book 2 out of 4 stars because although I didn’t enjoy it, it is likely that others will. If you are looking for a fiction book about slavery and are prepared to stop and think about the book several times, then I can encourage you to give this book a go.

Buy "Tribalism" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Tribalism" by Clarence Mason

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”