Official Review: The Liar and Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sherlock_1
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherlock-1.html
Latest Review: "Kingdom of the Sun" by Ariffa Bevin

Official Review: The Liar and Other Stories

Post by Sherlock_1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Liar and Other Stories" by Matthew W. McFarland.]
Book Cover for 1412
Share This Review

The Liar and Other Stories by Matthew W. McFarland is a collection of six short stories. Each story is separate from the others, so I will give a brief summary of each one. The Liar follows a man who can spin a tale at the drop of a hat. Hospital focuses on the family of a little boy awaiting medical news. Making Headlines revolves around a young actress who wants to be famous. The Savant tells the story of a man with hidden talents. Ripples follows a girl with a secret, and Toxic Love is about a man who is certain that his wife is trying to kill him.

Out of all the stories in this collection, I particularly enjoyed Ripples and Toxic Love. I thought that the characters in these were better developed than the characters in the other stories, mainly owing to the fact that these stories were longer. When I read about Anne’s predicament in Ripples and the backstory of the husband and wife in Toxic Love I was able to identify with their current situations to a greater degree than I could with the characters in the other stories, since there was more background on them.

I thought the plot of each individual story was interesting, even though I wasn’t attached to many of the characters. I like books about revenge and mystery, and these stories provided some exciting, albeit short, problems that dealt with those themes. The writing style was very plot-driven, with some beautiful descriptions and eerie details throughout. I did feel, however, that given the abruptness with which each story ended, more time could have been spent on characterization than on descriptions of settings.

As I mentioned before, I felt like the stories ended too abruptly. Just as I was getting invested in a story, it would be over. I understand the need for brevity in short stories, but there was simply no time to introduce me to a new character, tell an intriguing story, and tie everything up with a satisfying conclusion. I think the first three stories in particular suffered from being too brief, with the last three getting a little longer, which gave them more depth.

I give The Liar and Other Stories two out of four stars. The short length of each story weakened the effect of an otherwise interesting plot. All the elements of a solid short story collection are present in this book – good writing, intriguing plotlines, and potentially well fleshed-out characters. They just don’t quite come together in this compilation.

Buy "The Liar and Other Stories" on Amazon
Buy "The Liar and Other Stories" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Kingdom of the Sun" by Ariffa Bevin

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”