Official Review: The Farmer's Fate by A TRAUB

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
missg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missg.html
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB

Official Review: The Farmer's Fate by A TRAUB

Post by missg »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB.]
Book Cover for 1475
Share This Review

"The Farmer's Fate" by A. Traub is the story of a farmer named Clancy Johnson from Tolemac, Kansas. This is a fictional book that focuses on the life of Clancy, who in the beginning of the story, falls in love with a girl named Sarah Bridges. This love interest of Clancy's seems to begin in kindergarten, but does not seem to fully develop until their sophomore year in high school. The beginning chapters seem to focus on the developing relationship of Clancy Johnson and Sarah Bridges.

The book also tells us that Clancy is of the Mennonite faith and that his parents are farmers, who share and the same hopes of Clancy taking over the family farm when he grows older. Mennonites are a Christian faith group that began in the 16th century. Currently there are over one million members world-wide. The Mennonite beliefs and practices vary, but following Jesus in daily life is a central value, along with peacemaking. Clancy's faith was very important to him in this story and his faith seemed to help him along the good and bad situations in the story.

As I read further into the book, it focused on the life of Clancy Johnson after high school and how he felt that according to his Mennonite faith, he should take some time and plan mission work before taking over the family farm. Clancy ends up with the decision of visiting Mexico. His destination is along the interior Yucatan Peninsula in a small town called Akil. His mission work was to join a group of fellow mission workers and rebuild a church. Clancy then moved on to another village in Mexico called Texcob. Clancy was selected as the team leader of the other workers and had to build the church from the ground up, which lasted around eight months. When this job was finished, Clancy decided to put off going home to Kansas, a little while longer and headed to Haiti. Clancy travelled to the interior of Haiti know as Vilage de Damnes which needed immediate help. While Mexico had its clear and present dangers, Haiti seemed even worse. There were extreme dangers in Haiti, especially at night, and Clancy was told not to wander around at night alone. Clancy had intended to wait around for his fellow co-workers to arrive a week later, but an unexplained murder occurred and the the mission work was cancelled and they sent Clancy and his work crew back to the United States.

The story has an unusual twist in the beginning and towards the end and it involved meeting a palm reader. The first time Clancy and Sarah met the fortune teller it was during high school and they were at some sort of fair. They were very curious and decided to have their fortunes read. The palm reader told Sarah she would be leaving soon and that she wold have kids, a family and live a happy life for the most part. The palm reader warned Clancy that his reading may be disturbing and gave him a chance to turn back. The reader told Clancy that she saw great heartache in his future, followed by joy and then misery. The palm reader told Clancy that he had a chance to change his fate and to not let the evil in. Clancy was interested and freaked out at the same time and wanted to learn more, but she disappeared and he never saw her again that night. Years later, Clancy meets up with the palm reader again when he is older and married with kids. The palm reader recognized him and knew the fate that he had chosen. She told Clancy more disturbing news and at this point, Clancy just left. The palm reader is a key person in the story and tells Clancy a great deal concerning his fate. Clancy seems to go through a series of unfortunate events and I feel that they probably would have happened whether or not he had met the palm reader. However, she did give him fair warning in the beginning of his young adult life and what happens next is something that the readers will find out!

I really enjoyed the book "The Farmer's Fate" by A. Traub because it had its share of romance and suspense. When I first began reading the book, I thought that I would not enjoy it because it was centered around the life of a farmer. I found no interest on life about farming and whatever goes along with it but this was very different. I liked the beginning which focused on a little boy who forms a crush on a little girl and things begin to develop from there. Clancy also seemed to be very strong willed and had very strong faith as was shown from his background of being a Mennonite. Readers prepare yourselves because there are really happy times in the book and other times are really truly sad. This book made me realize that sometimes we are dealt an unfair hand in life and that things happen for a reason that are sometimes out of our control. I also believe that in the story our dear Clancy was at the wrong place at simply the wrong time. I would rate this book four out of four because it kept my interest from the beginning to the end. I simply had to find out what would happen next whether it was good or bad. I think that this book would be a good fit for teens through adult readers and everyone will truly enjoy this book!!!

Buy "The Farmer's Fate" on Amazon
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”