"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aleece
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleece.html

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Post by Aleece »

I read this book a couple years ago and I loved it. The way the author structured this story was outstanding. The story was based back in the 1960s during a time where Jacksonville, Mississippi was segregated. The main character is trying to become a writer, but needs a more personal touch so she manages to get a group of African American women to help her.

In the end, she helps out the women who put their careers on the line to help her with her book. It was a great representation that not every white person back in the day felt the treatment of African Americans was appropriate. Showing a side we don't get to see often in relevance to the racial separation. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen2:
Bridget H
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bridget H »

I have read about 100 pages of The Help so far, and the thing I enjoy most is the writing style. Kathryn Stockett must have done a lot of research in order to understand the way her characters would have talked during the time period. It is very believable and never forced-sounding. When writing about the characters such as Aibileen and Minny, the words and thoughts reflect how a black maid in the 60s would probably talk. When I’m reading, I can hear their voices and the lilting pace of how they would speak in my head. Though I'm not much of a historical fiction fan, her writing style makes the book much more interesting for me.
mommyreadsbooks
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyreadsbooks.html
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mommyreadsbooks »

I read this book a few years back. The author did a great job of painting the picture of have life was in America back then with the segregation between whites and blacks.

I also truly enjoyed the move!
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”