Official Review: Finding Alice by Stephane Morris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
srkilgour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srkilgour.html
Latest Review: Blue Collar Cash by Ken Rusk

Official Review: Finding Alice by Stephane Morris

Post by srkilgour »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding Alice" by Stephane Morris.]

Finding Alice by S. J. Morris is an absolutely fantastic book. From the first chapter this book captures your attention and you don’t want to put the book down until you find out what is going to happen. This book is very real and shows the different sides of people and how people really can change if they put their minds to it.

John Mason from the very beginning comes across as an egotistical jerk. He is so into being rich and having an awesome job as a real estate agent that he doesn’t care about anyone but himself and making a deal that benefits himself. You learn from the start that he hasn’t always been rich and unlike his wife, Audrey, he had to work hard to get where he is, which makes him feel entitled to his new lifestyle. After he has an affair with his neighbor, Alice, he goes off the deep end and his wife and her father have him committed. The rest of the journey is about him finding himself. Will he ever be the same? Does money really matter? What about Alice?

I really loved the way that Morris portrayed a mentally ill character in the book. There are not many books out there that show how someone can have a mental breakdown and how they are treated. I loved being able to see John progress through his time in Sunnydale. John is a well thought out character that does truly evolve throughout the entire novel, which is very refreshing.

The only thing that I found very distracting in Finding Alice was that the point of view would change every so often. Most of the time, it was from John’s point of view and then randomly it would shift to a third person narrator. This sometimes became confusing and you would have to read the part over again to figure out who and why the point of view changed so suddenly. Even with that said though, the novel progressed so nicely that it didn’t make the reader feel lost in the context of the story; these sudden changes actually helped the reader understand more deeply what was happening in the scene.

I would give Finding Alice 4 out of 4 stars. I think it was very refreshing to show that everyone is human and makes mistakes. It also showed a very real side of individuals with mental illnesses, which I thought was a very nice fresh take on a novel. I will definitely be recommending this book to all my friends to read.

Buy "Finding Alice" on Amazon
pooja_1999
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pooja-1999.html

Post by pooja_1999 »

That sounds like a good book!
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Not usually my cup of tea, but great job on the review.

-- 27 May 2014, 16:46 --

Not usually my cup of tea, but great job on the review.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”