Official Review: Francette and the Mystery of the Deaf So...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Official Review: Francette and the Mystery of the Deaf So...

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Francette and the Mystery of the Deaf Soldier" by Karine Bregeon.]

Francette and the Mystery of the Deaf Soldier written by Karine Bregon is a wonderfully written children's crime/mystery book. Upon reading the description of the children's book and doing some other research, I was excited to read the story. In the short amount of pages the author, gives a little history and gives children a chance to read a story based on another culture, depending on the reader's location, of course.

Francette, the main character of the story, is depicted as being a very independent, outgoing ten year old. when she goes to visit her grandparents for the summer, she is very observant of her surroundings and very curious. When she notices her grandparents are uptight she decides to do some digging and when she learns that there is a "ghost" problem and the village she is at is circulating with superstitious rumors, she decides to take action to prove everybody wrong. Dragging her friend Anatole with her, who is more cautious, they very quickly put together a plan to solve this mystery. When they do, the end of the story I thought was a surprising and very good ending.

I really enjoyed reading this story, it was simply written for easy understanding but still introduced vocabulary that a child may or may not know already. The author bases the story out of France giving the reader a chance to see a little bit of the culture and language. The story was very descriptive and painted a picture for the child's imagination to run away with and see things as if they are watching a movie.

There is not much to this story that I can say I didn't like or enjoy. It was a very light hearted easy story to read and I am sure children in the seven to ten age range that it is geared towards will love. However, there was a decent amount of grammatical errors, some of which may have been part of the dialogue, but the errors I found seemed to sporadic and didn't seem to be apart of the dialogue.

I rate Francette and the Mystery of the Deaf Soldier 4 out of 4 stars because I believe this is a book that children of all ages will really enjoy. I was imaginative and had a different ending that you don't see in a lot of mystery books, no matter the age group. I would definitely recommend this book and even read it to my own children!

Buy "Francette and the Mystery of the Deaf Soldier" on Amazon
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

Your review has made me decide to tell my friend about this book. She has a young child at home and I am trying to get her to teach her that reading is important. Since the child is a little behind mentally, I think that reading would help with her learning ability. It is books like this that capture the imagination of children.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds a good book for kids. A good review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

This sounds sweet! Sometimes it's tough reading children's books out to kids over and over again that are mind-numbing; so it's nice to have a few that are interesting for adults as well!
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Hadn't heard of this one yet, it sounds cute. I'll have to try it.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Been over a year since I did this book review and I still look forward to when my girls are old enough to read this. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”