The Giver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cooltodd
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Giver

Post by cooltodd »

Who has read The Giver by Lois Lowry? What did you think of it?

The Giver is a very good novel, I think. It's a little distrubing, though.

It is a soft science fiction novel set in a future society which is at first presented as a utopia and gradually appears more and more dystopic. The novel follows a boy named Jonas through the twelfth year of his life. Jonas' society has eliminated pain and strife by converting to "Sameness", a move which has also eradicated emotional depth from their lives. Despite controversy and criticism that the book's subject material is inappropriate for young children, The Giver won the 1994 Newbery Medal and has sold more than 3.5 million copies.

What do you think?
kano

Post by kano »

The Giver is a great novel. However, honestly, I only enjoy teaching it. Reading it for the sake of reading would never happen for me.

The ending leaves most readers quite uncomfortable though...
DuchessAngel37

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

I think I might have to re-read this, as it's been a good 14 years since I have. I don't remember the ending? Don't we realize that the whole time, Jonas was being trained to take over the job as the Giver or something? I don't remember anything about it except that the cover always freaked me out.
Nicki18229
Currently Reading: The Pilot's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicki18229.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Nicki18229 »

I first read this book in middle school it was actually book I bought thought the I can't remember what it use to be call but school use to give them out to order books.
I very much like the book I did find some things in the book at little uncomfortable, Joans was begin trained to take over job. I do know that they made this book series their are 3 more books that follow the giver I'm not sure if anyone knew that or not. I do plan to re-read this book then read the other 3
Beth Davids
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: The Day Christ Died
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-davids.html
Latest Review: "A Tale of the Legendary King and His Twin Princesses" by Genevieve Sarpong
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Beth Davids »

I love this book! The ending does rather leave you hanging if you're not aware that there are more. However there are a total of 4 books in the series, and I've read 3 of them. I'm waiting to read the last one when my library has it back on shelf.
Latest Review: "A Tale of the Legendary King and His Twin Princesses" by Genevieve Sarpong
Nicki18229
Currently Reading: The Pilot's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicki18229.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Nicki18229 »

Beth Davids wrote:I love this book! The ending does rather leave you hanging if you're not aware that there are more. However there are a total of 4 books in the series, and I've read 3 of them. I'm waiting to read the last one when my library has it back on shelf.
I just found out few years ago that their were few more books! Here I was in middle school from 91/92-93/94 wondering why it left me hanging and thinking it would be great to find out more! Silly me then I should have looked into it but then I got into R.L. Stine. I still thing the giver book are timeless I don't care how old you are they are great read!
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I, too, enjoy teaching it, but I'm not sure it would be my #1 pick to read for my own enjoyment. I rated it 4/4 stars because it is an interesting read, and it gives readers many discussion points. I do not like endings like this one because it leaves me feeling unfulfilled. However, it does allow me to give my students the assignment of writing a sequel or alternate ending, which they love to do!
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

One of my favorite box sets.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Yelitzag08
Currently Reading: DIABLO NIGHTS
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yelitzag08.html
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary

Post by Yelitzag08 »

Beth Davids wrote:I love this book! The ending does rather leave you hanging if you're not aware that there are more. However there are a total of 4 books in the series, and I've read 3 of them. I'm waiting to read the last one when my library has it back on shelf.
I had no idea that The Giver was a Series! I definitely need to check that out. I would need to start by rereading it I think I read it ten years ago. I remember really being intrigued by the book and also disturbed about a society where everyone needs to be the same. In a way our society already does that... I mean if someone thinks or looks differently they are often ridiculed.
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary
c_meagher
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-meagher.html

Post by c_meagher »

I also had no idea The Giver was a series. I remember reading it for school and wishing I knew what happened next. There were definitely uncomfortable points in the book, but I felt it made for great discussion with my classmates. I think the lesson our instructor taught on how imperfect a utopic society would be was really great and The Giver provided some great potential scenarios that helped to prove reasoning for the need of imperfection, emotional depth, and many other things we middle school students hadn't really thought pertinent at the time. I look forward to rereading and continuing the series!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”