Anyone read Thomas Harris books, like Silence of the Lambs?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

Anyone into *pure* horror novels?

I'm not really into that. Thriller and mystery is good though, minus the gore!
No votes
NO WAY!!!
No votes
Yeah, I can be sometimes.
No votes
I LOVE them!
100%

Total votes: 2

rosesarered89
Bookshelf Size: 0

Anyone read Thomas Harris books, like Silence of the Lambs?

Post by rosesarered89 »

I'm reading "Silence of the Lambs" right now, and it's a great book, even though I was hoping to hear a little bit more about Lector.

So, out of the four following novels that Thomas Harris has written, which do you think is the best one and why? Which one(s) is similar (in plot, writing style, characters, etc.) to "The Silence of the Lambs"?

-Black Sunday
-Red Dragon
-Hannibal
-Hannibal Rising

thanks!
Biblioklept
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Biblioklept »

I liked them all but Silence is the best. It's a creepy classic.
If I had to choose from your list I would say.....Red Dragon. That's not going to appease your desire for a Lector-fest but it's a good book.
Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
P. J. O'Rourke
kderse
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kderse.html

Post by kderse »

I have only read The Silence of the Lambs and loved it! Here is my review :)
THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
Hannibal Lector, a very known villain in modern literature fiction. In the book The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris a young FBI trainee turns to an evil genius who is locked up for unspeakable crimes. In the search for a serial killer she must visit this criminally insane Hannibal Lector and interview him.

I would recommend this book to adults.

This is not normally a book I would pick up but I read it for two reasons. One, when visiting my home town we went to my favorite used book store and bought a grab bag a big paper grocery bag filled with books. This was in our surprise bag and two because I could use it against my reading challenge for a book that came out the year I was born. 1988. I found out after reading this book that it is a sequel. I did not read the first one and did not find any problem doing that. Maybe there are things that connect that I did not realize but still enjoyed the book without reading the first.

I recently started watching The Blacklist with my husband. Though the criminal isn’t kept in prison while he helps the FBI the show reminds me often of this book.

I really enjoyed the pace of this book. The suspense and the thrill. It kept me awake at night and on the edge of my seat. I honestly do not know how I as a woman could have worked with this man. He is so creepy. Clarice always seems to have herself together though. She seems very brave. The plot, the description of the book doesn’t sound like much when you read it but trust me it is a very interesting read with many twists and turns that you don’t expect.

I am probably one of the few that have not seen this movie. I have seen movie clips of it though during our movie trivia game nights. I always thought I will never watch that movie but then I read the book and I found myself wondering what the movie was like. I am not sure I could keep my eyes open watching this but I am now more intrigued. I recently saw an episode of the show friends where Joey was reading The Shining and got so scared that he put the book in the freezer. He felt safer that way. I think this is one book I would actually consider doing the same.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”