Official Review: Their Inheritance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Official Review: Their Inheritance

Post by Heather »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Their Inheritance" by Stephanie Townsend Ayers.]

Their Inheritance by Stephanie Townsend Ayers, is a fictional story that takes place in a small Mennonite community. James and Alexandra Williams suddenly find themselves in the position of raising their younger brother and sister after their parents die from an illness just two weeks apart from each other. This is a huge responsibility for the then 17 and 16 year old James and Alexandra. They are devastated by their loss, but together, with a lot of prayer and help from the community, they are able to move forward with their lives.

I liked this story, but I do think there could be a few improvements. The writing wasn't all that great, in my opinion. It felt very simple in most places. Almost like a list of the events that happened during the days, weeks, or months. I think it could have been improved by leaving out the unnecessary details, while going deeper into the meaningful events. I felt like I was being told what happened a lot, instead of shown. However, there were scenes that were better, where I really felt involved in the moment, and I would have like to see the whole book written that way. Also, the time period the story takes place in was not anywhere in the book. I think that is an important detail to include in a story.

I think my biggest problem was the listing of all of the many characters who appeared, along with their ages. If there was a scene where new people were present, each person's name, age, and relation to those already introduced were listed. I found this to be tedious and confusing. The list of names grew too long, and I had trouble keeping track of people for that reason. Especially considering a lot of them didn't really play an important role in the story. Other than a few grammar and spelling errors, I think that's where my complaints end.

What I did like about the book, was the general story line. While I am not very familiar with the Mennonite religion, and I may not hold all of the same exact beliefs brought forth in the book, I did not feel like that was a problem. I enjoyed getting to know the characters, reading about their lifestyle, and seeing them grow throughout the book. And while I do think the writing in general could use some improvement, I also was able to really picture the events as they were happening. I felt for the characters, in their troubles and their happiness.

What I enjoyed most about this book, was seeing the ways in which the people in the community interacted with and helped each other. It was very refreshing. I don't think we see nearly enough of that in our society today. When ever anyone needed help, there was someone there wanting to lend a hand. Often, the help was offered without being asked for. Everyone worked together and and seemed grateful to be able to do so.

Overall, I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars. While there could be some improvements, I enjoyed the story.

Buy "Their Inheritance" on Amazon
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Oh, my, this review made me smile. Listing everyone's name and age! On the one hand, it's funny, and I see how it would be really tedious in a narrative. On the other hand ... SUCH a Mennonite thing to do. Mennonites love to keep track of all the people and who is related to whom. But normally, when we read a book, we only want to be told who someone is, if that person is going to become important to the plot pretty soon.

I grew up in a Mennonite (not Amish) church. I actually knew a family in our church whose story was a bit similar to this one. The mother died when the youngest was just a baby, and his sisters ended up raising him. Seventy years later, when I met them, they were all still taking care of each other.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

H0LD0Nthere wrote:Oh, my, this review made me smile. Listing everyone's name and age! On the one hand, it's funny, and I see how it would be really tedious in a narrative. On the other hand ... SUCH a Mennonite thing to do. Mennonites love to keep track of all the people and who is related to whom.
You learn something new every day! Well, then, perhaps the listing of people was completely appropriate. :-) Certainly not something I'm used to though!

And that is so interesting that you personally know of a similar story. Very nice that they take care of each other.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”