Official Review: The Invisible Papers by Agostino Scafidi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CatGitane
Favorite Author: Lewis Carroll
Favorite Book: Alice in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catgitane.html
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3309

Official Review: The Invisible Papers by Agostino Scafidi

Post by CatGitane »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Invisible Papers" by Agostino Scafidi.]

I chose The Invisible Papers by Agostino Scafidi and it clearly wasn’t one of my best decisions. At all. The book seemed to be an inventive, peaceful, however, it turned out to be the most negative one I’ve ever read. I regret ever picking it – I must admit I was also attracted because it is written by a Montrealer from Québec, Canada (where I’m from too).

Firstly, the bad points. It might not seem critical for some, but to me it’s an important fact: there was no table of contents! I love to see where the chapters begin and just read the titles (if there’s any) and so on. It’s missing. But it’s not as sad as the invisible numbering of pages… none! I was at loss – no page numbers… How am I supposed to find myself in it for excerpts and stuff? It wasn’t well-thought. The cover is misleading; one thinks it’s going to be calm, lovely, when it’s the complete opposite! I would suggest a change of cover, unless the author wanted to induce a sensation of ‘two-faced’ book like two-faced people… Despite the creative voice of the book, it quickly gets redundant as you change topics quicker than one snaps their fingers! You’re floating on a never-ending sea of confusion and no real goal… there’s no land to be seen and you’re surrounded by sharks. The worst part of this book is that is it WAY too negative; it feels as though you’re constantly being attacked, beaten… bullied! And trust me, I’ve had enough of this as a teenager. So, in a book?! No, thank you!!! I had to clench my jaw and grit my teeth to finish reading it… I felt in a constant struggle. I didn’t need something to bring my mood even lower. However, if you’re looking for a book to give you a good beating and suck the happiness out of you, it’s this one! It first ‘charms’ you with beautiful words right before throwing you across the room and against the walls and kicking you. Every. Paragraph. For. 134. Pages. It looks down on important matters; it belittles them!

Secondly, the good sides (because yes, there are a few). I admit that the different voice of the book is ingenious and intriguing; all of the questioning, directed at you, through he/she/they, is interesting. Moreover, the imagery the author uses is really good: the concepts, feelings, emotions he describes are pin-point! You can sense this is how it truly goes when one feels like this or thinks about a certain thing. Also, the grammar and punctuation (although I would suggest more care) are overall correct; a few mistakes and inadequacies here and there, but it’s tolerable in an eBook. The cover looks magical and peace-inducing; I love the cold colours and winter view it offers. Nothing too aggressive (which is ironic, compared to the book it holds!) and yet you see everything of importance. It’s well-done. On the first page, it includes all of the required information, plus the ISBN! I had never come across one actually written in the book before. One word: professional! At first, the concerned and cynical joking tone is gripping and amusing, until it becomes too much and redundant. It also reads well, fast and easily, which is a very good point in itself! I liked the cold harsh truth about egotism and humans in it, but it becomes so provocative, mean and overwhelming that you just start hating the book and wanting to escape it… Nevertheless, I congratulate the author on the try of a ‘new’ voice. It was spectacular to see.

I give it a rating of 1 out of 4 stars (bad). That was, sadly, the obvious answer. I wish it could have been different for I hate giving hard reviews. I would NEVER recommend the book; instead, I’d scream to people not to do the same mistake as I did! Because your mood will go so down, you could cry. If the author wanted to spill all of his dark thoughts about humankind (and God knows we deserve some) and not make any ‘real’ stories, he should have made a journal instead for this is a waste of time and good energy. It’s sapping! Also, there is an ‘inside joke’ I have with people who know me – and it’s been on for years… The book ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ by Margaret Atwood was the one I had so disliked I’d tell people that it was the only book I’d love to burn (but trust me, it’s all too true!). Me! Who’s a book lover and cringes at a wave on a page… so, imagine! But now, after reading ‘The Invisible Papers’ (which was highly disappointing), I say - and feel - that ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ looks like a wonderful novel that I’d love to pick up and read compared to the book by Agostino Scafidi! I think that says it all.

I would have loved to say it was a beautiful and inspiring book like it seemed to promise it would be, mostly because I had a fondness for the author being from the same region as I am, but no... I know this review is harsh, but truth needed to be read and I genuinely hope the author will keep the voice of questioning and he/she/they BUT for a more positive or weird novel-like book. I suggest him to start writing an online journal if he wants to spit on humans, but to keep his good points for a better story.

Buy "The Invisible Papers" on Amazon
AgostinoScafidi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AgostinoScafidi »

Wow. Thank you for that review. Your passionate disdain for my writing actually prides me. I have elicited such an intense reaction from you and for that I am grateful.

Thank you again!
CatGitane

Post by CatGitane »

Oh! You're on here?

Well, you are welcome, then.

:). May I suggest something? I know there was no 'real story line' in it, but perhaps you could *I think you should!* make a story following your interesting he/she/they/question style? I think it has a certain potential, besides negativity.

However, I am glad you take it that way - you impress me. And yes, quite an intense reaction XD. Haha

No problem.

With the pleasure of seeing you around, other Quebecer ;),

- Catherine.
AgostinoScafidi

Post by AgostinoScafidi »

Thank you Catherine :D
Feel free to add me on facebook ---> agostino.scafidi.37
CatGitane

Post by CatGitane »

You're welcome. :)

And just did! ;)
blennon

Post by blennon »

While I have not yet read Scafidi's book ... this review came up in my search of Handmaid's Tale...
Mr. Scafildi.. I would suggest this review is without merit, as evidenced by the myopic critique of Ms. Atwood's classic.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”