Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ksjennin
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksjennin.html

Re: Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Post by ksjennin »

Harry Potter just has a lot more to it. I'm not hating too much on Twilight... I think it got ruined by the movies.
renohunter26

Post by renohunter26 »

I am going to go ahead and say it, The Harry Potter series is ten times better than the Twilight Series could ever think of being and I'll explain why. Now don't get me wrong, you're correct in saying that the two series are completely different. That is a very true statement. So content wise the two books can not be compared. The writing style of Twilight is the problem I have. Those books are very poorly written, the symbolism is lacking, there is little to no character development and the themes that are presented are problematic in a multitude of ways.
Twilight is marketed to higher level teenage students and written at a sixth grade level. Harry Potter grew as it's target audience grew, allowing the readers to develop with the story. Twilight is readable by children as young as ten and therefore should not have the issues that it dealt with available to young readers.
I can not name an instance of symbolism in Twilight, everything in those books is straight forward, as it's read. Meyer's tells you everything you should be thinking and feeling. She gives you no room to infer what you should feel. Rowling guides you and allows the reader to make their own assumptions and feelings about her characters, which is why her books are so unpredictable. Mostly as you are so busy making your mind up about how you feel about something that you don't even realise that the direction she's going is the complete opposite of where you are. The character development in Twilight is severely lacking, in fact, Bella never learns. She constantly and consistently puts herself in a reckless amount of danger over someone who at certain points completely lets her down and abandons her. Finally, the themes in Twilight promote the idea of a selfless love, so selfless in fact that you would literally abandon all thoughts of yourself if something were to go wrong in the relationship. Frankly, Edward, in my opinion, is a very manipulative character and Bella is a vapid girl who's all too eager to allow him to control her.

The books are miles apart, and there is nothing that could convince me that twilight is or ever was a good book series.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

renohunter26 wrote:I am going to go ahead and say it, The Harry Potter series is ten times better than the Twilight Series could ever think of being and I'll explain why. Now don't get me wrong, you're correct in saying that the two series are completely different. That is a very true statement. So content wise the two books can not be compared. The writing style of Twilight is the problem I have. Those books are very poorly written, the symbolism is lacking, there is little to no character development and the themes that are presented are problematic in a multitude of ways.
Twilight is marketed to higher level teenage students and written at a sixth grade level. Harry Potter grew as it's target audience grew, allowing the readers to develop with the story. Twilight is readable by children as young as ten and therefore should not have the issues that it dealt with available to young readers.
I can not name an instance of symbolism in Twilight, everything in those books is straight forward, as it's read. Meyer's tells you everything you should be thinking and feeling. She gives you no room to infer what you should feel. Rowling guides you and allows the reader to make their own assumptions and feelings about her characters, which is why her books are so unpredictable. Mostly as you are so busy making your mind up about how you feel about something that you don't even realise that the direction she's going is the complete opposite of where you are. The character development in Twilight is severely lacking, in fact, Bella never learns. She constantly and consistently puts herself in a reckless amount of danger over someone who at certain points completely lets her down and abandons her. Finally, the themes in Twilight promote the idea of a selfless love, so selfless in fact that you would literally abandon all thoughts of yourself if something were to go wrong in the relationship. Frankly, Edward, in my opinion, is a very manipulative character and Bella is a vapid girl who's all too eager to allow him to control her.

The books are miles apart, and there is nothing that could convince me that twilight is or ever was a good book series.
Excellent post! I completely agree with you that Harry Potter is in a completely different league than Twilight....the "well-written" league vs. the "poorly written" league. Twilight was just marketed well. The Harry Potter series is heads and shoulders above Twilight in every category - writing, character development, plot. I always felt Twilight was way overrated.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
jayclark1307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jayclark1307.html

Post by jayclark1307 »

HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!! End of story. Hands down, Harry Potter is the better of the two.
doppelganger
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doppelganger.html

Post by doppelganger »

Most of the plot in the twilight series was about how a woman is nothing without a man, whereas Harry Potter was about making the right choices, not the easy ones and to always have hope. So how can anyone even compare the two? Harry Potter is so much better than twilight. And besides, Harry Potter has Hermione, and she will punch twilight in the face.
Tricia1962
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tricia1962.html

Post by Tricia1962 »

I have to admit that I have never even thought of comparing the Harry potter series to the Twilight series. They both are in the fantasy genre but the similarities end there for me. In my opinion, the Potter series was about overcoming adversity and growing up and making the right choices not the easy ones. Twilight is a romance with Vampires. There are no lessons to be learned or morals of the story. It is just purely romance fantasy with vampires and shape-shifting humans.
kindle_reader4835

Post by kindle_reader4835 »

Speaking of which, I was just thinking that it is time to re-read the Potter series as it has been a few years. I don't really plan on reading Twilight again; not that I did not enjoy Twilight but it just isn't as good as Harry Potter. I would argue that Twilight seemed geared more towards young women readers while the Potter series seemed more for everyone.
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

I don't really understand why those two are being compared, each one has its own style.
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

Definitely Harry Potter. I am kind of a not twilight fan and I only watched the first movie and I hated the actress so I didnt even bother watching the rest of the movies although Harry Potter was a good start but the ending was a bit disappointing.

-- 11 Nov 2014, 18:24 --
renohunter26 wrote:I am going to go ahead and say it, The Harry Potter series is ten times better than the Twilight Series could ever think of being and I'll explain why. Now don't get me wrong, you're correct in saying that the two series are completely different. That is a very true statement. So content wise the two books can not be compared. The writing style of Twilight is the problem I have. Those books are very poorly written, the symbolism is lacking, there is little to no character development and the themes that are presented are problematic in a multitude of ways.

I for one never understood what exactly is the character of Bella and her relation with Edward. It was so frustrating and also irritating, talking about it makes me annoyed. I do not like it and I agree that Harry Potter is WAY better than Twilight.
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
Hailey_Gardner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-gardner.html

Post by Hailey_Gardner »

To be honest, never read the harry potter books. I was going to but my husband decided to ruin the ending. So I can't really compare the books but I do think harry potter movies were better.
Thinkswithink
Favorite Author: Chuck Palahniuk
Favorite Book: John Dies at the End
Currently Reading: Eats Shoots and Leaves
fav_author_id: 2812

Post by Thinkswithink »

This is such a topic thats been over discussed, honestly, but I'm going to go ahead and put in my two cents because it was very much my generation.

Both series were and always will be pop literature phenomenons, for different reasons. Harry Potter for its whimsical style and bedtime story telling, (not unlike our most beloved British writers) and Twilight because its the kind of drama people, in general, just love to eat up. I don't very much like Twilight for its obvious reasons, mostly because the authors political opinions are so blatantly shoved in your face.

In ways that they are similar, their marketing teams made the money pour from the sky, and neither author knows when to lay a good story to rest.

Also, I think a better comparison would be Twilight vs. Hunger Games, as both are written in first person, our main protagonist is a female, and both are written rather poorly. (Sorry Hunger Games fans, nothing personal, I enjoyed the story.)
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I have never been able to take this question seriously. I absolutely love Harry Potter. Growing up with those books was one of the greatest parts of my childhood. The twilight series was, for me, a nightmare. But I think the theme park speaks for itself....
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

LOL there really shouldn't be any competition because they are completely different books. But if I had to choose between the two.. Harry Potter all the way. I also find it weird that people feel they have to bash other books once they become a fan... or in order to become a 'true' fan of something. The whole competing fandom things is just bizarre to me. I'm going to read books and enjoy them.. I'm not going to not read something due to some false loyalty to some other series. I've seen this kind of behavior surrounding music as well. You can like more than one thing at the same time.. sheesh. haha.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
andthemusicfades
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkein
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Currently Reading: Subject Seven
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andthemusicfades.html
fav_author_id: 12163

Post by andthemusicfades »

'Tis the old apples and oranges conundrum!! Both are fantasy, but other than that they are so extremely different! I really cannot see how people compare the two!! I have read and loved both series, but if someone asked me which was the better of the two, I would say "If you want a prejudiced opinion, I'm not your person."
Mbucknor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbucknor.html

Post by Mbucknor »

Hailey_Gardner wrote:To be honest, never read the harry potter books. I was going to but my husband decided to ruin the ending. So I can't really compare the books but I do think harry potter movies were better.
Even if you know everything that is going to happen in the book. It is still soon worth reading. It's one of those books that I have read numerous times because you often miss little details or have a different view on it in you second reading. You should definitely still take a read. I promise it'll be worth your time.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”