Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Megan394
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan394.html
Latest Review: "Fifty Three" by Rosanita Ratcliff

Re: Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Post by Megan394 »

I found myself hating Twilight. I think this was because everyone was comparing it to Harry Potter and I love Harry Potter. I didn't want anything to be better than it. The only Twilight book I found particularly interesting was Breaking Dawn I couldn't wait to see what happened. Harry Potter was more compelling to me. There was more detail and many different things going on. I think it is possible to like both series equally. When I read the Twilight books I compared them to Harry Potter the whole time and I don't think I fully appreciated the books.
Latest Review: "Fifty Three" by Rosanita Ratcliff
kamrensmum
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: city of glass
Currently Reading: the pain merchants by janince hardy
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by kamrensmum »

I love them both for differences they have i reckon they have the best but differnt :D
SJinx710
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjinx710.html

Post by SJinx710 »

I liked all the Harry Potter books a lot more than the Twilight Saga.
jbj

Post by jbj »

hi just joined and you want my honest opinion about these books I read both series of books and both have there advantages I read the harry potter ones when i was a little younger mid 20's and i love the characters fun to read i like the made up spells and formulas that always keep you intrigued no matter what your age. and on the introduction of dobby the house elf 2 eyes were peering over the edge of the end of the bed staring at harry potter that made you want to turn the page and read on.

as for twilight i like the whole story line and wondered on many occasion who Bela would choose Edward or Jacob and the story lines excited me and the fact the things you may of heard about vampires the author addressed some the questions like the reason why vampires cant stand in light. This book intrigued me but in a total different way i love both to be honest and would never choose between the two and if you ask me forget harry and Edward I'm team Jacob all the way.
shellyb
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Currently Reading: The Midwife - Jennifer Worth
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by shellyb »

They are both completely different and I enjoyed them both in their own right. It was interesting to see how the Harry Potter books became more adult and dark as they went on. Twilight seemed to gain a bad reputation as a teenage girly book, so that i hardly dare admit to reading it. However, I found it quite addictive, possibly as I am still a teenager at heart and fell for Jacob. I did think Bella was a bit of a whinger and a tease though.
“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”
― Stephen King, On Writing
poornimakrishnan

Post by poornimakrishnan »

Firstly, the Harry potter series spanned across 10 years.There is no denying that it reintroduced thousands of children and adults to reading. I don't think any other author in the recent past has so beautifully and completely captured the imagination of an entire generation like J.K Rowling did.
The twilight series, was for most part, almost like a guilty pleasure - Overrated and definitely made more popular by the actors who played the lead characters in the film. While the whole twlight bashing phase some of the public went through was sort of unnecessary, it was a pretty shallow read catering to the teenage public.
Harry Potter on the other hand, was a wholesome read, a real experience. There is absolutely no comparison between the two series.
dndgeekgirl
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dndgeekgirl.html
Latest Review: "Killer Tip to Manage Stress-Related Neck Pain at Home with a Secret Ingredient from your Kitchen" by Geekay

Post by dndgeekgirl »

To me, the writing styles are too different to compare. Harry Potter was written for it children and teens, Twilight was written for teens and young adults. I enjoyed Harry Potter much more than I enjoyed Twilight.
Latest Review: "Killer Tip to Manage Stress-Related Neck Pain at Home with a Secret Ingredient from your Kitchen" by Geekay
MeezCarrie

Post by MeezCarrie »

Twilight never captured my imagination, never hooked me in. I gave it the first book but, honestly, found myself skimming through most of the middle of it just trying to plod through to the end. Harry Potter, on the other hand, captured me immediately and kept me enthralled until the final word of the last book.
DoJoey
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Deaver
Favorite Book: Blindness - Jose Saramago
Currently Reading: Wanderlust-D. Steel. Poison-C. Wooding
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dojoey.html
fav_author_id: 21481

Post by DoJoey »

I have read and loved every single Harry Potter book but after reading Twilight (which was loaned to me by my at-the-time-boyfriend) I decided not to read a single word of any of the later books.
I find the Twilight Story quite sickening actually; a helpless little human girl caught in a power struggle of something far grater than herself and being too stupid to realize she should just get the hell out of there....to me it's just a bit too much. Helpless and immature with no personal growth to speak of, the whole thing just really put me off continuing with the series. And don't get me started on what it has done to the reputation of vampires and ware wolfs world wide!

But as to comparing Harry Potter to Twilight you might as well stop right there, the books have nothing in common (apart from telling a story of a number of characters) and are a completely different genre. Whoever thinks they can make a competition out of this should seriously get their wires checked!
maddy2690

Post by maddy2690 »

It's funny because I reread a little bit of HP7 last night, I was just in the mood. It's one of those series you can read again and again. I say HP all the way! Twilight was fine for reading once and quickly to see what all the fuss was about for me.
Monique_Ari
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monique-ari.html

Post by Monique_Ari »

I agree. It is verry silly to compare two different books. Especially if they are both great.
SarahVictorious98

Post by SarahVictorious98 »

The fact that anyone can even try to compare the two is simply incredible to me. I enjoyed the Twilight books immensely but they in no way measure up to Harry Potter standards. Twilight is almost childishly written. Harry Potter obviously was written with great thought and detail. The series is like a puzzle. A whole new world. Twilight although a great read can never measure up to Harry Potter in my eyes. It also depends on interests though. If you're more of a romantic then obviously Twilight is better. However I am an adventurer at heart and Harry Potter has always been my childhood series that led me into so much trouble.
Krystie

Post by Krystie »

I believe Harry Potter books are better because they have more fantasy, the story is more original and JK Rowling has better literary and complicated skills. I think Twilight is more shallow.
Yanapashyan

Post by Yanapashyan »

I believe that Harry Potter is infinitely "better" than Twilight for a considerable amount of literary reasons. However, this is my opinion, and I believe that there is no one right answer as to which book series is "better" because it depends on a myriad of perspectives. Thank you.
Gina77
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gina77.html
Latest Review: "The Texas Twist" by John Vorhaus

Post by Gina77 »

I have read both series' multiple times but there's no comparison in my opinion. The world created in Harry Potter is so complex and detailed that it was a new introduction to the world of magic. Twilight on the other hand, while an enjoyable series doesn't have the complexity or level of character development that Harry Potter has. I sometimes feel that Harry Potter doesn't get the recognition that it deserves for the level of creativity, attention to detail and originality that it has brought to this genre of books. J.K. Rowling is a true storyteller and this series is one of my favourites.
Latest Review: "The Texas Twist" by John Vorhaus

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”