Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Re: Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Post by Michelle-lit »

Raveenasamuel wrote:I'm coming in slightly late to this discussion, but as soon as I see Harry Potter, that's where I need to be! Needless to say that I am a crazy HP fan. I've read both the series and in my opinion there is no comparison between the two. Harry Potter is a fantastically written series and J.K Rowling is an absolute genius. Everything she writes has a meaning, there are no fillers and every single moment of the book is connected. She doesn't write to fill pages, she makes them come to life through every character and each of their back stories. Twilight, though it is a cute love story and of course Edward is a total dreamboat, just doesn't have the literary depth as HP. Yes, the stories are different, and the authors tell their stories differently, but in my opinion, J.K Rowling wrote a perfect story and perfect characters, regardless of the flaws they might have each possessed.
HP for the win I'm afraid!
I agree, when I began the Twilight series my first thought was that Meyer's writing style wasn't very captivating and was not nearly as fluid as Rowling's. In my opinion, Rowling won in character development, plot, and writing style. While the HP books kept me turning pages, Twilight I wasn't sad to put down.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
SUTHASKY
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SUTHASKY »

I just love reading and gain knowledge. I think both of these books are really compelling but in terms of beautiful vocabulary and wonderful imagination. I would say hands down J.K. Rowling has it all. :D
LozMel9

Post by LozMel9 »

I wish I had stumbled upon this earlier...

Harry Potter for the win people! There shouldn't even BE any comparison.

You would be hard-pressed to find something Meyer did BETTER than Rowling. I don't deny Rowling had her flaws, but essentially everything she did was for a justifiable reason, and behind it all were intricately woven details and meanings that you just couldn't find in Meyers work.
SusanE
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susane.html

Post by SusanE »

I would have to say I love both but Harry Potter kept me up until the early morning hours because I just couldn't put it down, Twilight didn't have the same effect but I do love both.
Brenna+3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenna-3.html

Post by Brenna+3 »

I read both of these series. Although both Rowling and Meyer aware both talented authors, and I loved both series I have to say that Harry Pottter was my favorite. It was an epic adventure that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the series. And it was jammed pack with fun.
sand1
Favorite Book: mara daughter of the nile
Currently Reading: grey wolves series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sand1.html

Post by sand1 »

I have never even thought to compare the two I have read both and I really like them. The two I don't really find to be comparable. They are both written well. If I had to pick my favorite though I like harry potter better.
carinarivera26

Post by carinarivera26 »

I think that those books are very different but if I have to choose I would choose Harry Potter.
juratekas

Post by juratekas »

I have read both series. I do agree with those who say there is not a comparison between the two - totally different, even though both enjoyable.
Purely_Poetic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purely-poetic.html

Post by Purely_Poetic »

I don't think you can compare the two because Harry Potter is so clearly the better of the two. The characters have more depth and personality and the stories have great lessons and morals and I'm so happy they were such a huge part of my childhood. I have read the Twilight books and am a big fan of them but, they are nowhere near as good as Harry Potter. The storyline is derivative and predictable and the characters shallow.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

HARRY POTTER hands down! Twilight is terrible, I couldn't make it past the first four pages. eeeeew :evil:
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
lilmissmusicz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilmissmusicz.html

Post by lilmissmusicz »

I couldn't bring myself to read twilight because of the atrocious writing style.
Harry Potter for me all the way. I grew up with the books, remember reading one in one night because Harry Potter was better then sleep. Twilight just does not do it for me.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Harry Potter hands down! I love this series!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Tiffany4188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffany4188.html

Post by Tiffany4188 »

I enjoyed Twilight in the way that I secretly enjoy a TV show that has more tendency to be a soap opera. Not well written, the actors weren't good, and yet I am captivated from the beginning to the end. The great thing about Harry Potter is that J.K. Rowling isn't perfect, the series writting got better as the series proceeded, but the story is so amazingly enticing, well thought out, and connected that you realize that it's a masterpiece no matter what time period the reader is reading the book. Harry Potter has an immortality factor that Twilight just doesn't have. 20 years from now, Twilight will be a distant memory, while Harry Potter will join the ranks of such classics as the Chronicles of Narnia.
TGarbett72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgarbett72.html

Post by TGarbett72 »

I think both series are good in their own way. I've read both series and watched all the movies to follow and still couldn't pick one or the other. They both captivate in their own ways even if the writing isn't great or the actors in the movies are not what you imagined. I do believe the Harry potter series will be better remembered though.
amscms08
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amscms08.html

Post by amscms08 »

I have read both set of books and liked both of them. I also watched all of the movies for both. In my opinion Harry Potter is nothing like Twilight. Yes they maybe be about something "magical" but that is where the similarities end. I loved the Twilight series! When I started reading I just couldn't put the book down. Meyers has a different style of writing that, to me, pulls her readers in. Harry Potter got my attention but at times it got boring.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”