Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Perrywinkle47
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

StephenKingman wrote:Neither. I would rather sit through a day's worth of the God Channel than watch either a Twilight or Harry Potter movie, hate the mass-produced cheap and cliched rubbish.

Lol, you seem too frustrated with it.. Well, I totally respect your opinion :)
B-fly

Post by B-fly »

I understand why do they compare them. Cause the both gained fame as a result of good advertising. It's interesting will somebody remember these books after 20 years.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

B-fly wrote:I understand why do they compare them. Cause the both gained fame as a result of good advertising. It's interesting will somebody remember these books after 20 years.
You don't think it would be remembered after 20 years? Well, not sure about twilight but I think HP has the power to survive that long.
Weivenus2012

Post by Weivenus2012 »

Thanks for sharing and let us know more about new releases.
Hstrylvr

Post by Hstrylvr »

I used to work in the Children's department of a bookstore. When Breaking Dawn came out my manager at the time wanted me to push the Twilight series to everyone looking at the books for 8-12 and Young Adult. His argument was that since Harry Potter was read by both boys and girls of these age groups, so would Twilight. I just stared at him as if he was crazy and said no 12 year old boy would want to read Twilight if he was looking at "The Day My Butt Went Psycho."
They both have very different audiences, and while Harry Potter can be read by any generation of both sexes, I don't believe Twilight has the same appeal.
Lita

Post by Lita »

Personally, I like the Harry Potter series better. I think the books are more interesting, the character development is way more... uh... developed? LOL. The story might be a little cliché and Harry is SUCH a martyr, but I still find it interesting, really funny, and heart-warming on some parts.
Unlike Twilight, which I had to force myself to read [the 4 books] because I was bored out of my mind. The story might be interesting, but I think it had way more potential to be something GOOD and it just... wasn't. The first books were horribly boring, the writing was terrible, there was no suspense, and NO romance [you cannot call that romance].

Still, I think you can't compare those two series D: I mean, they're so different from one another.. plus, Meyer's books are more of a "romance" type, and Rowling's books are more action-y D:
And I completely agree with everyone who said that ANYONE can read Harry Potter and enjoy the books, unlike the Twilight series, I believe. I know a lot of older people who don't like Twilight because it's too "teenager like", but they enjoy Harry Potter because it doesn't just talk about teenagers, but older characters, too [and young ones, like Ginny and her love for Harry].
Angiebumanglag

Post by Angiebumanglag »

Through the years, Harry Potter never lost its touch of magic to amaze and excite the readers. since every bit of detail are described by words, it gives you the feeling of being able to visualize the book.
BambiA93

Post by BambiA93 »

I never read Harry Potter, but they seem like two different ideas altogether. Just because there is a following of teens and tweens, doesn't mean they are comparable.
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

Personally, the Twilight books disgust me. As Stephen King at once said, "Stephanie Meyers can't write worth a damn" and the way she twisted the time honored concept of the vampire into a slutty thing that takes advatage of empty headed teenagers(especially females) is deplorable. If I want vampires, I'll stick with Bram Stoker or Stephen King, not these dreadful, poorly written modern day spoofs like Twilight. It in no way compares to Harry Potter, which is one of the best series I've so far read.

As for the movies, the Twilight movies are even worse than the book, and all the Harry Potter movies beyond the first and the second stink.
Hazelrah

Post by Hazelrah »

I have never read the Twilight series, so I can't comment on the quality of Stephanie Meyer's writing. But I have seen the first 2 movies and nearly gouged my eyes out.

Bella is one of the worst role-models for girls I have ever seen. The only thing worse than being stuck as an immortal bloodsucker for all eternity is to have to put up with someone as clingy and needy as her.

I think the Harry Potter books are a lot of fun -- except for the last book, in which the brilliant idea of "Grammar school for wizards" falls by the wayside. The movie was good though.

-Shane
Cariol

Post by Cariol »

I think harry pottry is way better.
And twilight isn't really that good, it is all about a girl and a boy. And the plot isn't really that smart like harrypotter's plot.
LesleeJean

Post by LesleeJean »

Harry Potter for the win!! I'd rather read a series on Luna Lovegood than Bella Swan. Although I do own the twilight series, Bella is my least favourite character in the books. I agree, terrible role model for teenage girls. "Just forget all your friends, your life, your family, your future... and focus all your attention on a boy." Not cool.
DivinaRose

Post by DivinaRose »

I have also read both series and love both. I feel that they're so different (Harry Potter being more action/adventure and Twilight being more romance) that they really shouldn't be pitted against each other. I know they're both fantasy books but still. Edward vs. Jacob, now that's a competition! (Edward for Bella, Jacob for myself haha.)
Sarabell

Post by Sarabell »

Sophius wrote:Personally, the Twilight books disgust me. As Stephen King at once said, "Stephanie Meyers can't write worth a damn" and the way she twisted the time honored concept of the vampire into a slutty thing that takes advatage of empty headed teenagers(especially females) is deplorable. If I want vampires, I'll stick with Bram Stoker or Stephen King, not these dreadful, poorly written modern day spoofs like Twilight. It in no way compares to Harry Potter, which is one of the best series I've so far read.

As for the movies, the Twilight movies are even worse than the book, and all the Harry Potter movies beyond the first and the second stink.
You summed my feelings up nicely! :)

Twilight, while pulling me through fast, I just didn't like much at all. It's whole story was this one-dimentional girl with no drive, who falls in love with a boy because he's "so hot," and he loves her back because she smells good and he can't read her thoughts. Sigh. It just wasn't my thing. If only sticking to young-adult, I remember loving LJ Smith... Her characters had dimention and drive, you know?

Anyway, I don't find Harry Potter as having a thing in common with Twilight (other than the initially directed age group, though Twilight is almost solely for girls, whereas HP is beyond age or gender).

I would encourage my 6 yo to read HP (at least the first few books), I hope my daughters don't read Twilight even as teens.
Shanskies

Post by Shanskies »

perksofbeingme wrote:I notice a lot of people are trying to say twilight is the new harry potter.

Some people (in fact more than I think possible) seem to want to make it some sort of competition. I don't get this personally. I've read both the series (save breaking dawn b/c it hasnt come out yet) and I think that they are both amazing, incredible, the best. But I don't feel there needs to be a competition! ITs silly! You can love both series! You can love Harry and Edward! Nowhere is it written that "thou must love harry and only harry" or "thou cannot love harry b/c thou loveth edward!"

Am I the only one who feels this way?

And I appologize for the rant, I've been holding it in for weeks :-)

I completely agree with you. I personally am yet to read the potter series but I don't find it a competition...
People love books for individual reasons. Saying one is better than the other is silly purely based on the principle that it all comes down to personal opinion.. No answer is right because it's purely individual opinions.
I love the Twilight series, however I wouldn't slag the H.P series (one because I have hardly read it) and two because who am I to tell someone what they feel for a book is more/less than what I feel for mine?

I appreciate the Twilight Series as much as others appreciate the Harry Potter Series for themselves.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”