Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tennent10
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tennent10.html

Re: Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Post by tennent10 »

Honestly, I don't feel you compare the two. Yes they belong to the same genre, but that is like saying you can compare "The Great Gatsby" and "The Cow Jumped Over The Moon" just because they're fiction.
nikinoodle7
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Such a hard choice
Currently Reading: Insurgent By Veronica Roth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikinoodle7.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by nikinoodle7 »

They're completely different book series. I cannot believe anyone would believe Twilight is becoming the new Harry Potter or vice versa. They're great book series and were great movies too. But should definitely not say they are the same thing.
DebByrne+43
Favorite Author: Harlan Coben
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Storyteller
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyrne-43.html
fav_author_id: 3782

Post by DebByrne+43 »

I loved the Twilight books and movies. I never liked Harry Potter but my husband and kids do. I really do not see how you can even compare it though. Completely different toes of books.
Katiesaurus

Post by Katiesaurus »

There is no way you can compare both of the series. Yes, they are from the same genre but they differ in storyline. While Twilight is about a teenage girl falling in love with a sparkly vampire and all the perks that go with it (with minor appearances of the "evil" vampires), Harry Potter series is about friendship, being brave, learning and most of all: it teaches the kids not to discriminate.
I didn't really like the Twilight saga because, in my opinion, it's too depressing and focuses too much on selfish needs of the main character. But I have a friend who is a huge fan of the saga and she dislikes HP. Tastes differ. :)
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

With Harry Potter, the author was able to create an entire world with its own language, terminology, traditions, and culture. Some of these aspects that Rowling has created has made it to the real world for example. Stephanie Meyer's characterization and craft I doubt, would ever achieve any of this.
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
lyndsie_anna
Favorite Author: Virginia Woolf
Favorite Book: The Poisonwood Bible
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyndsie-anna.html
Latest Review: "Life, Death and Iguanas" by Marc Newhouse
fav_author_id: 2470

Post by lyndsie_anna »

The fact that people compare the two makes me really mad. Firstly, aside from the supernatural elements, nothing is similar at all, so there really is no basis for comparison. It would be more apt to compare LOTR and HP but even that is a stretch. Secondly, Stephanie Meyer cannot write, and though I have read Twilight, I remember that was one of my biggest peeves. And, as several other members have pointed out, HP teaches about friendship, bravery and life lessons, and is enjoyable for people of all ages. Twilight taught young girls that they need a man to survive. The reason for this is cultural on the part of Stephanie Meyer, but the fact that it's been accepted almost without question by mainstream media is insane to me. When Robert Pattinson hates it, you know it's bad.
Natasha 2011

Post by Natasha 2011 »

I think its horrible to compare series of books, because they all have special things about them and personally I don't think twilight and harry potter have anything in common, but yet I love both book series. One of the newest book series being compared to each other are the hunger games trilogy and the divergent series, I love both but again I don't feel the need to compare them because they don't really resemble each other besides the fact that they both take place in the future after a terrible war.
I think we need to just respect all the book series for their differences and stop comparing them to each other, then that way everyone will be happy! :D
lyndsie_anna
Favorite Author: Virginia Woolf
Favorite Book: The Poisonwood Bible
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyndsie-anna.html
fav_author_id: 2470

Post by lyndsie_anna »

I agree with that. But people also need to stop trying to make books into classics as soon as they come out too. I mean, Harry Potter is getting there for me because so far it's affected an entire generation. (Maybe hedging on two?) But Twilight? Ehh. That, to me is why the comparison is nuts. Also, they've started putting Twilight on school reading lists? it's really strange.
Kitty85

Post by Kitty85 »

Oh please, who dares to compare those books? J.K Rowling can actually write. No offence to Twilight but the last book was a total disgrace!
dlphnch
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlphnch.html

Post by dlphnch »

There is no comparisson on these books. They are all good books; but, for different reasons.

I loved the Harry Potter books. I have read the whole series to my children as they have grown up...the books have inspired lots of imaginative play time (without electronics).

Twilight was more for me. It kept me entertained.
DianaChristie23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianachristie23.html

Post by DianaChristie23 »

I love both series! I preferred the movies to the books of Twilight. The movies were more vivid and enticing than the books with the two characters Edward and Bella. Personally, I enjoyed the Harry Potter books more than the Twilight books because they seemed more intelligent and thought out. The characters and stories were so intertwined, there was more depth and creativity in the Harry Potter books. Even though vampire books are my favorite in general, I had more fun reading J.K. Rowling's series because the characters were so kooky, interesting, and creative.
jibreelwizard

Post by jibreelwizard »

harry potter is superior because the character the irony the moral and the ups and downs the ending is far more interesting because you can only see harry as a fighter not dad but twilight is more of a romance series while harry potter is a thriller twilight also has inferior deaths of characters like Cedric diggery who ironically turned into Edward cullon died with a green blast while carlisle died with his head ripped of with is impossible and has no science tagged into it and Edward watches bella when she is sleeping thats creepy not romantic :D
Elliephant

Post by Elliephant »

Personally I prefer Harry Potter, but both books are very different, and well worth reading. Twilight is a romance, whereas Harry Potter is a fantasy/adventure series. They both contain elements of each other's genre, but it's difficult to compare them considering they are so unalike.
MelisaB13

Post by MelisaB13 »

I agree, apples and oranges. I think HP has a more universal theme than twlight attracting more of an audience and was also better written.
lbuckman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

I have only read the harry potter books and really liked all of them. I have the Twilight series on my 'to read' list, but they just haven't appealed to me quite as much - therefore they haven't made it to the top.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”