Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
blue6991
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Post by blue6991 »

I am a big fan of both the books (not the movies). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just feel as if they are both to completely different things. Twilight is more of a teenage morbid love story. A Romeo and Juliet for this generation. As for Harry Potter, It is its own classic. I enjoyed reading them and still to this day do. As an adult I am able to still be completely submerged in the books. It is an escape into a magical realm that can make people believe that it is a possibility it could exist. That’s one of the things I liked about Harry Potter. They made it to were kids had the thoughts that there was such a world out there. It wasn’t too far-fetched. They kept it up to date like a real world and events but still gave the hints of another world. A world filled with things a mind could never imagine. All in all Harry Potter will always top Twilight for me.
Kerbi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kerbi.html

Post by Kerbi »

Pfft Harry potter will never be replaced!!
kallie2015

Post by kallie2015 »

Harry Potter has been on my list to read for years. I usually don't like to read a book after I've seen the movie, but this is probably different. I'll have to pick up the Potter books and get busy reading the series...finally! Twilight was good, but by the time I got to the last book I was kind of ready to be done with the series! Time for Potter!!
yalonde
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yalonde.html
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower

Post by yalonde »

Well, I was addicted to Harry Potter before I even read Twilight. I was a Harry Potter fan in my early 20s. I was a single mother of 2 very small children and I remember dragging them to the midnight Harry Potter release parties. I was in graduate school when I was addicted to Harry Potter and remember being in the Harry Potter Forums for hours instead of researching for a class. I really believe that Harry Potter helped me cope with being a young single mother of two, attending graduate school, and working full-time. Harry Potter really helped me escape the hard times in my reality.

When I first read Twilight, I was completely engrossed with it. It was my first paranormal romance and I feel in love with it. I feel in love with both Jacob and Edward. I remember wishing I could find the love of someone like Edward of Jacob.

Harry Potter helped me cope with my life (weird, I know). Twilight made me long for something I didn't have. So even though I loved both series, Harry Potter was more positive for my state of mind.

Such a unusual way for me to answer this question. That's me for you!
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Post by JenniferBoyce »

I very much agree with your statement! I think some people, maybe those who are more of a fan of twilight and not harry potter, want the books that they favor to be the one that everyone else favors too. It's like only being able to choose your favorite classic book, when there are hundreds of fabulous classics out there.

I don't understand the need that some people have to be competitive over books, I completely understand your rant. :)
allylujah

Post by allylujah »

The problem with this debate is that there is no definite answer to end the discussion. Everyone has their own opinion and taste in books, so the answer is different for everyone.

For myself, personally, I would choose Harry Potter over Twilight. The reason for this is primarily due to my lifelong obsession with books that make me feel like I'm travelling to an entirely different world ready to be explored. Additionally, I also found the characters to be more relatable in Harry Potter than in Twilight. This could partially be due to having a lot more "good guys" in the Harry Potter series than there are in Twilight.

All in all, Harry Potter would be my personal choice over Twilight, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :D
Aubinelizabeth
Favorite Author: S.E. Hinton
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: 12 Years A Slave
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubinelizabeth.html
fav_author_id: 4089

Post by Aubinelizabeth »

I don't feel like these are within the same playing field. Someone posted the perfect response when they said apples to oranges. But personally I prefer twilight over Harry
laarnilopez

Post by laarnilopez »

I know this is an old thread and all. I read both series. And watched both films as well. I don't know why, but Cedric Diggory gives me smile and shriek more than Edward Cullen. My brother and I were watching Goblet of Fire yesterday and I keep on saying.. This is how he became a vampire. Bwahahahahahahaha! :P
[nette]
Currently Reading: Splintered Trilogy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nette.html

Post by [nette] »

I honestly think that Twilight has no comparison to Harry Potter. Something about Harry Potter is so much more interesting than just some random vampire love (wanna be) triangle. The books were good and all but Harry Potter takes the win for me.

Also Kirsten Stuart makes Bella Swan look bad as far as the "love triangle" goes.
tatas2991

Post by tatas2991 »

I grew up reading both harry potter and twilight and am now reading vampire academy and I just don't see how they can be compared both are amazing and do touch base on some similar questions both actually differ quite som :D e.
lizrumping
Favorite Author: JK Rowling
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska by John Green
Currently Reading: 13 Little Blue Envelopes-Maureen Johnson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizrumping.html

Post by lizrumping »

I read the Twilight books when they first came out, and as a junior high-er, I loved them. I couldn't put them down. However, as I've gotten older I've tried to take a more critical look at all of the books I've read. While HP withstands the test of time, Twilight does not. In my opinion, there are two components two a book: how well it is written, and how good the story is. HP passes both of these tests, while I feel that there are major issues with the story in Twilight. Bella is an exceedingly droll character who is defined by her relationships with two men. There are also issues with how it is written (now, this may just be personal taste), but I prefer more complex writing that has a lot of descriptive language. In Twilight, you notice that many of the adjectives used to describe people are the same and I found it difficult to picture the settings, characters, and situations. So in my book, Harry Potter wins by a landslide.
TeshLewis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teshlewis.html

Post by TeshLewis »

There's more personality in Harry Potter, than there is in Twilight.
AajayBabar88

Post by AajayBabar88 »

I have had this discussion with way too many people. I think the only
reason they are equated is because they came out at a similar time
and were sensational. Personally they both have the qualities of being
literally crack. I was never more hooked; I couldn't put the book down,
than with the twilight books. Harry Potter is like the royalty of all modern
books, so it's kinda of like spitting on the Queen to even compare it to
twilight. Everyone knows Twilight was spit out in 5 years. It took J.K.
Rowling nearly two decades to write 7 amazing books that have redefined
lots of things including how people read.
Pratham143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pratham143.html

Post by Pratham143 »

Ofcourse HP!
JessiFox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessifox.html

Post by JessiFox »

I agree with you in that they're in no way mutually exclusive. I don't think they're even comparable to even claim a true "vs" or that one is a replacement for the other. Honestly, I'm not a fan of Twilight or Meyer's writing as a whole. I don't think she could ever hope to be on par with J.K. Yet even if you wanted to claim that they could be on the same 'level' so to speak for the sake of argument, the stories are still vastly different in their depth and length and subject matter. It's apples and oranges.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”