Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lily-tyler-sigma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Post by lily-tyler-sigma »

Twilight: A good book to try to get teenagers to start reading but, The characters are really 2 dimensional they don't grow or learn. The story line has some good twists but not enough to satisfy the reader.

Harry Potter: A great book for any audience and level of reader. The characters learn and grow the story is engaging and can keep almost anyone entertained the entire time. The book also has a deeper meaning a difficult topics that JK Rowling did an excellent job crafting into the book do only those who are ready to discover it do.

Overall, both of these books are getting people to read again and that is wonderful. But in my personal opinion I would rather hand over the Harry Potter series to another person to read.
LexieAliJ

Post by LexieAliJ »

Where both series are concerned it's pretty clear that Harry Potter is much better. There's no need to compare both series.
srivolco
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Kane and Abel
Currently Reading: A Tale of the Malazan Book of the fallen
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srivolco.html
Latest Review: "The Chosen of Ky'kias" by K.S. Lewis
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by srivolco »

Maybe i have been out of the literary circles for some time but i can't wrap my head around the idea of comparison between Twilight and Harry Potter. Agreed that both the series eventually ended up targeting the same segment of readers , mainly with the story lines running around adolescent teenagers maturing, taking on responsibilities, decisions and coping with the pressure that comes with being a person of who cares and loves people around them. The story line as such in Twilight wasn't as appealing to me as Harry Potter was. Twilight was build mainly around the depth of character building and relationships developing over a brief period. Harry Potter had a deeper plot detail and the reader grew up along with the series and harry's character !
Latest Review: "The Chosen of Ky'kias" by K.S. Lewis
jennifeer_1990
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: My best friends girl
Currently Reading: Anne Frank
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by jennifeer_1990 »

I like both series but i admit i do prefer Harry Potter, maybe because it is not just a love story, and because it went on for so long, i grew up with the characters and saw them as real people.
jojolynchy

Post by jojolynchy »

i would say that harry potter is by far the better books and that twilight is no where near becoming the new harry potter. Harry potter will be a classic one day in the future, whereas i can't see twilight still being marvelled over in 50 years time. Twilight is a short-term phenomenon with a fan-base that is slowly growing up and becoming mature adults making the twilight books extinct to man-kind.
Rebecca_13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-13.html

Post by Rebecca_13 »

As well as Twilight people are now saying the hunger games is the new Harry Potter and I couldn't disagree more! Although arguable good story line, I personally did not like the simplicity the hunger games was written. Harry Potter was and still is significant because many grew up with the bpoks and the writing and story lines almost matured as we did.
Patti_M
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patti-m.html

Post by Patti_M »

I really feel that you can't compare the 2. They are completely different series about completely different things. There's no way to fairly judge the 2 because there's no points of comparison between the 2 other than the targeted age range.
heatherprzybyla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherprzybyla.html

Post by heatherprzybyla »

I can't say that I've ever heard anyone saying that. However most of my friends are either or. I for one wasn't really a "Harry Potter kind of girl". I did however love the Twilight books. They were easy to read and predictable. At that point in time, I was just wanting something to take up my time, not something that was going to challenge me. Sometimes you just need a love story. ;)
jacstar23
Favorite Author: Lauren Dane
Currently Reading: Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacstar23.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
fav_author_id: 14988

Post by jacstar23 »

this thread is kinda funny to read given how long ago it started

it's just a popularity contest really - not what's better, or what's written better... just what do you like better

even that though, I still don't think there's a comparison - am I not allowed to love both equally - they are very different series after all...

my biggest dislike though, is having bookstores put books on display on a table that says "love Twilight? then you'll love this!"

or "Looking for the next great read after Harry Potter? try this..."

i'm disappointed. always. I bought a lot of books off the "love Twilight?" table - and absolutely hated them. no comparison.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
msdaniellerhudy
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdaniellerhudy.html
Latest Review: "Minister's Shoes" by Celine Rose Mariotti

Post by msdaniellerhudy »

I'm very glad that both series' were written, because I actually own both series' and I love both of them equally. I love them for different reasons, however. I love Harry Potter for the innocence and the magical elements. I love Twilight for the romance and the way vampires and werewolves are brought to light. I think you can love them as much, and I think the competition between Edward, and Harry is silly.
Latest Review: "Minister's Shoes" by Celine Rose Mariotti
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

I agree with a lot of people here.. .they are completely different books. The only thing you could compare in them is how many fans they have. And that is not useful to any of us, except one of us is J.K. Rowling, or Stephanie Meyer, or their bank accounts.
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Ariel93

Post by Ariel93 »

To me, comparing Twilight and Harry Potter is ridiculous. They are completely different books. Harry Potter is a fantastic series...kind of. I was so bored with the first book I skipped it, and continued on with the series. Twilight was a great saga. The only thing wrong with it to me was the last book. It dragged on and on. When you finally got to the end, the most anticipated part, you were bored. Aside from those little minor details, I loved them both. If I had to choose one though, it would be Harry Potter, as a series. If Stephanie Meyer had stopped with Twilight, I bet there wouldn't be so much hate for the Twilight SAGA...
pattilyn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pattilyn.html

Post by pattilyn »

I love both these series. However as a teacher and parent I believe Harry Potter is for middle primary onwards. I started the first Harry Potter as a read a loud with my 7 year twins when the first book was published. They grew up with Harry. The series got darker as they got older which worked well or us. I love that JK Rowlings' writing is so plot driven.

Twilight is more suited for at least 13 years on.
Chebhear
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chebhear.html

Post by Chebhear »

Yes! They're two completely different things! I've read both series and I can't for the life of me, fathom why people keep on comparing these two! Harry Potter has so much depth and the plot twists are so much better and completely unexpected where in Twilight, you already know what will happen at the end as soon as you read the first few chapters.
kendra53

Post by kendra53 »

I think that twilight is not the new harry potter in that they are different type of books, but I think that they are both popular and good and that you can be a fan of both. I know I am.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”