Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CordeliaL84
Currently Reading: The Horse Whisperer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cordelial84.html

Re: Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Post by CordeliaL84 »

Nice post, Melanie, never thought of it that way.
That being said, I still wouldn't compare the two :)

I personally like HP series a lot, but Twilight is just not for me :)
motherreader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by motherreader »

I agree that both can be loved. I know I love both series. I can't really compare them anyway because they are so different. I guess people only do so because they came out about the same time and they are both very popular.
mrswinter14

Post by mrswinter14 »

I have read both series multiple times, I LOVE Harry Potter and can not get enough of them. The twilight series was good as well but there were some things that bothered me, like the fact that the vampires sparkled in the sunlight. I do not feel that there was any sort of competition between these two series because they were on two different subjects. I personally see way more Harry fans than I see Edward fans.
Melanie_Page
Favorite Book: All of them
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanie-page.html
Latest Review: "The Serpent Beguiled Eve" by Acacia Slaton

Post by Melanie_Page »

It is ok to compare them critically (with analysis) because that is just looking at techniques, the same way that a reviewer does. It's possible to like both of course, but it's still possible to compare them. On the whole I like Harry better. (I think) it has better techniques, storyline, etc. twilight was too teen angst overwrought for me... Different authors, different intended market, different concepts but the same reader... me. So I can compare my response.
Its ok to compare! It's not like saying which one of your children you love more :)
Latest Review: "The Serpent Beguiled Eve" by Acacia Slaton
sventurino
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sventurino.html

Post by sventurino »

If I had to compare the movies, I think Harry Potter would easily win! Some of the scenes in the Twilight movies are completely ridiculous, especially when considering the technology we have available today. But when comparing the books, I would have to say that both series are quite entertaining and have the ability to capture the attention of a diverse audience. How can one even compare them? The stories are so completely different! We should just get over ourselves and love them both. :)
queenofjacks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenofjacks.html

Post by queenofjacks »

I've read both, but I must say nothing can beat the classic Harry Potter stories. This may simply be because I grew up with Harry, Ron, and Hermione however. I did enjoy the Twilight series as well though!
brooklynegan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooklynegan.html

Post by brooklynegan »

I honestly do not think anything could or can ever be the "new Harry Potter". Twilight and Harry Potter are both amazing there is no need to compare them when they are nothing alike, except for the popularity.
sree

Post by sree »

It is just the way people view it. I mean , both are so lovable and have a huge fan-base that they have sort of started a war over which is better,which is good.And as in the case of all fan-wars, what they really show is the amount of influence both these series had over the general public,which is never a bad thing, if you ask me ;)
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Well, there is no comparison between the two. Harry Potter series have sort of become a cult series now, and Harry's journey in life and the creation of an alternative universe of the Wizarding World by Rowling can hardly be compared to the self-loathing Bella obsessed with twinkling vampires created by Meyer. Anyways, the books are rather different from each other in terms of the content they deal with, so all this competition is rather silly.
Roanhu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roanhu.html

Post by Roanhu »

Harry Potter's fan base is still huge, and I don't see these two comparing in a few years from now. The difference will probably be the people who are only slightly attached to both to show the true fans.
Tayner01
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayner01.html

Post by Tayner01 »

Harry Potter is far more complex and engaging than Twilight! I definitely prefer Harry. I got a tad annoyed with Bella by the end of Twilight.
Jenie
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenie.html
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander

Post by Jenie »

Both books are unique. They each have their own plots and writing style, but I preferred Harry Potter. It was able to capture my attention and hold it for the duration of the series and each character displayed a certain amount of depth that I enjoyed..
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander
Miss_Jane2014
Currently Reading: Better Off Dead by H.P Mallory
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-jane2014.html

Post by Miss_Jane2014 »

Honestly, I don't find the two series at all comparable. That being said, I appreciated the Harry Potter series more. I loved that the characters had some depth, and the fact that the series pulled on almost every emotion. I found myself a tad irritated with Bella Swan in the Twilight series. I imagine if I had been younger when I read the Twilight series, like I was with the Harry Potter series, it may have captured my attention a bit more.
BookLovers2015
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Little Women
Currently Reading: Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovers2015.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by BookLovers2015 »

Now don't get me wrong,I've read all the Twilight books and I loved them but to me Harry Potter had a lot more substance to it. I've read the Harry Potter series multiple times but Twilight isn't a series I would read again.
nina7210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina7210.html

Post by nina7210 »

Now this is really hard question for me I grow up with Harry Potter but I also like Twilight, I guess if I had to pick I would pick Harry Potter because it brings back the days when my family would sit around and read different Harry Potter book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”