Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jmeza10
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmeza10.html

Re: Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Post by jmeza10 »

I feel that a comparison shouldn't even be made they are both based on the supernatural but in different realms of it (i would say). Both are great series. But if i would have to choose it would be Harry Potter. Hermione Granger all the way (don't know why she ended up with Ron, it didn't make sense to me)!
misty103
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty103.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by misty103 »

They are both so different, but if I had to pick a favorite it would be Harry Potter

-- 30 Nov 2014, 10:04 --

Hermione Granger should have ended up with Harry or Krum not Ron
MaragothThorn
Favorite Author: GK Chesterton
Favorite Book: Father Elijah by Michael D. OBrien
Currently Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maragoththorn.html
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Post by MaragothThorn »

To be honest, I don't like either Harry Potter nor Twilight, though I've read both series respectively. In my opinion, however, of which I consider better in literary terms, I would have to say Harry Potter.
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell
mayaamayy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayaamayy.html

Post by mayaamayy »

Definitely Harry Potter.
tashinam18
Favorite Author: Shannon Hale
Favorite Book: Goose Girl
Currently Reading: The Iron King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashinam18.html
fav_author_id: 4972

Post by tashinam18 »

How can you even compare the two? Twilight is a romantic vampire story while harry potter is an amazing fantasy full of adventure. I say harry potter is 100 times better!
SpencersMum
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencersmum.html

Post by SpencersMum »

Harry Potter all the way!!
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

jmeza10 wrote: Hermione Granger all the way (don't know why she ended up with Ron, it didn't make sense to me)!

Didn't JK say the same thing, but that it never would have worked with Harry and Hermione because of the "family secret" about them being siblings? Krum was too serious for Hermione. She needed Ron to lighten up her world and bring her a bit of silliness.
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

What? That's like comparing onions to potatoes.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
energizerabby

Post by energizerabby »

definitely Harry Potter, twilight changed too much of the "socially accepted understandings" about vampires (sparkly, really? )
it also spoke to many different generations. i was a kid when the books started, and a married adult when the movies finished.
Colorora
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colorora.html

Post by Colorora »

I haven't seen or read the twilight series but all I can say is that twilight is not the new harry potter, the same way that one direction is not the new Beatles. Nothing can be the "new" anything sooo I don't know...
CYMH090909
Favorite Author: P.C. Cast
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cymh090909.html
fav_author_id: 4610

Post by CYMH090909 »

perksofbeingme wrote:I notice a lot of people are trying to say twilight is the new harry potter.

Some people (in fact more than I think possible) seem to want to make it some sort of competition. I don't get this personally. I've read both the series (save breaking dawn b/c it hasnt come out yet) and I think that they are both amazing, incredible, the best. But I don't feel there needs to be a competition! ITs silly! You can love both series! You can love Harry and Edward! Nowhere is it written that "thou must love harry and only harry" or "thou cannot love harry b/c thou loveth edward!"

Am I the only one who feels this way?

And I appologize for the rant, I've been holding it in for weeks :-)
I don't think there is any comparing the two. Harry Potter isn't anything like Twilight and they shouldn't ever be compared. Yes they are both about other worldly creatures but Harry Potter is magic Twilight isn't. Don't get me wrong they are both good but should never be compared or put against one another.
*The truth doesn't always hurt*
andriana_stajic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andriana-stajic.html

Post by andriana_stajic »

I read all the Twilight books and I greatly enjoyed all of them. However, I didn't read any Harry Potter books, but I did see most of the movies and they weren't that bad. Twilight and Harry Potter greatly have their differences, but I do not believe that Twilight is anything like Harry Potter. The only thing I believe that is similar is the length of the series itself. Maybe the length and the dramatic plot of Twilight drives people to believe Harry Potter and Twilight are similar. I still have yet to read Harry Potter, but I highly recommend Twigliht. :D

-- 24 Dec 2014, 19:10 --
rune
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rune.html

Post by rune »

Ive read both series books and watched the movies

Got to be Harry Potter for me :D

Twilight was so lame :lol:
MrsBoshoff1907
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsboshoff1907.html

Post by MrsBoshoff1907 »

I'm a huge fan of both and honestly can't compare them to one another. Twilight is an amazing love story with all the drama of love triangles and heaps of actions to keep the reader interested. But with Harry Potter there is so much more going on, it's not your classic "boy meets girl" novel, and I feel that that makes it more enticing on a different level.
Melanie_Page
Favorite Book: All of them
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanie-page.html
Latest Review: "The Serpent Beguiled Eve" by Acacia Slaton

Post by Melanie_Page »

I think there are a lot of similarities. The creation of a hidden supernatural world within the real one for example, although HP feels a little like Traditional British, jolly old chums going off to school together while Twilight is a more modern school setting.
There is the sense of alienation felt by the main characters and the sense of homecoming. There is the unfolding discovery.
Of course, they are written for vastly different audiences. The first HP is very juvenile and the books develop. Twilight is for a more romantically inclined teen readership, predominantly female while HP is more general.
Of the two I think HP is better written, simply because twilight drags after a while and would have benefitted from a vicious editor. Also, HP take place over a much longer timeframe and has a stronger backstory to support it.
I guess it comes down to what you are looking for.
Latest Review: "The Serpent Beguiled Eve" by Acacia Slaton

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”