Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Uklol2012
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Post by Uklol2012 »

Harry potter, so much more to the stories than in twilight and a much wider fan base.
Danielle_63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-63.html

Post by Danielle_63 »

To me, the first two Potter books were the best wherein the characters themselves were still children and got themselves into all kinds of comical situations and mischief. These are themes that most all adults and children can both relate to. It is the timeless tale of good prevailing over evil. I think that the books themselves were much more entertaining than the movies. After all you can only put so much into a two hour movie...
Twilight is written for a different audience. Not children specifically but geared toward teenagers and young adults. It's success at the box office was due in part to the attractive cast members and increasing interest in the topic of vampires and werewolves in reading literature today. The market is flooded with book series about vampires. What makes Twilight stand out is that it is a well written with romantic themes that withstand the test of time.
lapalmer71

Post by lapalmer71 »

I don't really know how to begin to compare them as they are quite different, other then the obvious good vs evil..I think Harry Potter appeals to a much younger audience then Twilight does.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

See, I think so too!

Some of our younger friends read Twilight back in second or third grade, so I read the first one and I said only one thing: you girls will like these a whole lot more when you are 16, and I think that is when you should read them.

the teenage girls are crazy for these; however, it is the boy girl thing and not the vampire thing, if you ask me; being able to do all that cool stuff is a plus, but any romantic lead worth his salt does cool stuff, eh?

Not to mention that if there were a guy like that (ok who wasn't a vampire), I would say, marry him! run! now!

HP can't be compared really, they are just different.

of course they would both be pretty good if you took out the magic/vampires, and maybe that is what they have in common

HP has so much going on; love and friendship and loyalty/ prejudice and the evil that comes from that/ growing up and accepting your responsibilities/trusting the people you know you can trust even when it seems like you shouldn't and everything is telling you not to/knowing the difference between what you want and what you can have/not being flattered or led astray by temptation

-- 20 Mar 2013, 17:15 --

I know someone who does not like HP because small children may be encouraged to dabble in (actual) witchcraft.

On the other hand, it does send a positive message to children about their own empowerment, which may not be a bad idea in this complicated modern world.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
Jamil Thornton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamil-thornton.html

Post by Jamil Thornton »

Harry Potter is way better than twilight by far. J.K. Rowling is a better author. Harry Potter is more suspenseful and can be read by children, teens and adults. Twilight is a book that i feel only entertains female teenagers, not talking about the movie. The Harry Potter books is a classic book, which everyone knows and has read at least one of the books. Twilight is not as classic as Harry Potter and there are many, many people who haven't opened a twilight book.
Kryshonda

Post by Kryshonda »

I just couldn't believe that I had allowed myself to be so captivated by a menage a trois that involved a human, vampire and a werewolf.
A24

Post by A24 »

Kryshonda wrote:I just couldn't believe that I had allowed myself to be so captivated by a menage a trois that involved a human, vampire and a werewolf.
Does that mean you hated it or are embarrassed to say you liked it? I'm one of the few on here that actually loved the Twilight series. It sure "sucked" me in too (no pun intended) and I never thought it would. Now, it didn't compare though to Harry Potter which I absolutely loved. Two totally different series geared to different audiences.
If it's a book and you are enjoying it, then that is all that matters!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
thanhlongsitec

Post by thanhlongsitec »

a good book!!
thanhlongsitec

Post by thanhlongsitec »

a good book!!
zebdarlene30

Post by zebdarlene30 »

How can you even compare Twilight to Harry Potter. Twilight was a love story true and true. I read the Twilight saga within a week and that whole time could not put the books down. I am love story person... Harry Potter for sure didnt give me the love feeling more of an action pacted saga. But that is my own personal opinion.
Bananacat
Favorite Author: Too many to decide
Favorite Book: Any book on the market
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bananacat.html
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey

Post by Bananacat »

I love both this series and do not see why there has to be a competition between the two. It is not even as if they are about the same thing: one is a supernatural romance while the other is witches and wizards, good verse evil. I don't see how there is a competition.
:)
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey
Kelsey1295
Favorite Author: Dave Pelzer
Favorite Book: A Child Called IT
Currently Reading: City of Glass
fav_author_id: 4296

Post by Kelsey1295 »

There is NO WAY that Twilight is the new Harry Potter. Harry Potter is and will always be 1000000000X better than Twilight.
Demonica13

Post by Demonica13 »

I think that the Harry Potter series and the Twilight series are the same in my book because they are exciting and has something for everyone!!!! Even though all the books and movies are out I still read both and follow the actors in the movies to what they are doing now. There is no competition between the two. Its just what different people like best and what they like to read the most.
Happily Candied
Favorite Author: Keith Donohue
Favorite Book: The Stolen Child
Currently Reading: Harry Potter
fav_author_id: 5212

Post by Happily Candied »

I don't actually see an actual rivalry between the two series. As with any pop culture phenomenons created within the same decade, comparisons are being made by two mainstream works through their fans. Nothing more. They might share the fantasy genre, but their sub-genres don't carry enough similarities for me to consider them rivals.

On a side note, I've been having a really good time seeing all of the memes comparing stories, themes and film awards between Twilight, Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings these past few years. A certain series takes the cake in the majority of the memes. :wink:
Meeka40

Post by Meeka40 »

I personally prefer Harry Potter over Twilight. I have read all of the Harry Potter books and watched the movies. I didn't read the Twilight Saga but I have watched all of the movies. Bot were good in their own right. I guess it really depends on whose reading and what you prefer.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”