Official Review: Much Ado About Nothing (Shakespeare for ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
missg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missg.html
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB

Official Review: Much Ado About Nothing (Shakespeare for ...

Post by missg »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Much Ado About Nothing (Shakespeare for Everyone Else)" by C.E. Wilson.]

Much Ado About Nothing (Shakespeare for Everyone Else) by C.E. Wilson is a remake of the Shakespeare play "Much Ado About Nothing." The scene is set in high school, senior year. A guy by the name of Donnie sets out to pair up his friend Clark with a girl named Heaven. The book contained real world scenarios, so that the readers could have a good understanding of what was going on. Moreover, high school is where any and everything can happen and it could be the happiest or the worst years of your life. This book proves that high school can be full of drama point blank.

I did some further research on C.E. Wilson's version and the actual Shakespeare play "Much Ado About Nothing" and I was quite impressed with how well Wilson stuck to the storyline. I was able to compare the characters very easily in the book and the actual play. There were a few changes however, the actual Shakespeare play takes place in Messina, Italy, and I am unaware what town or country that the book takes place. The only thing noted is that the characters are in high school, but I don't remember a name being said about the high school either. The book immediately focuses on the relationship of Clark and Heaven. The plot of Shakespeare and C.E. Wilson is generally the same but the endings between the book and the actual Shakespeare play are a little different. One specific reason is that C.E. Wilson's book is set at the year 2013 and Shakespeare's play was created in 1598 and because of the difference in the time periods,things are handled differently in the book and the Shakespeare play. As a reader, I would advise others to read the Shakespeare play and C.E. Wilson's version to fully understand what I am talking about.

The characters in the story "Much Ado About Nothing" include Donnie the matchmaker, Bennett the cool but broody one and Beatriz the loud mouth sarcastic one. Not to mention, the focal characters of the story Clark, the handsome one and Heaven the all around good girl. Then there is Donnie's step-brother the prick, Jason, and his friends Connor and Bordin. The story begins with Donnie trying to match up Clark and Heaven in the beginning. Clarks seeks the approval of Leo, Heaven's father, in order to begin dating Heaven. Donnie is quite happy matching the two together, but the story takes a series of twist and turns in the book too good to reveal. Upon the rocky relationship of Clark and Heaven, another love interest seems to develop in the story between Bennett and Beatriz, well they are so sarcastic towards each other, so it must be love right???

Also, in the story it also appears that Donnie, the matchmaker could have a possible love interest.

Reading further into the book, I find out that Jason, whose dislike for his stepbrother, Donnie, causes him to become interested in the relationship of Clark and Heaven. Jason sets out to ruin Heaven's name for no reason other than he does not really care for Clark and he wants to make his step-brother Donnie look bad for setting them up. I really enjoyed the book, at first I was unsure if I would like it because I am not a huge fan of Shakespeare, but it was a good read. There was always something dramatic happening and I could not wait to find out what would happen next. I found it very entertaining and a book that I will always remember and enjoy reading over and over again!

I had no disagreements with the book "Much Ado About Nothing" (Shakespeare for Everyone Else) by C.E. Wilson because it involved things that could actually happen and more importantly focused a lot on the reactions of the characters, in regards to their views to finding love or not finding love. I feel that any reader at some point, could relate to the characters in the story whether the reader was a teenager or adult. This story proved that communication is key to any issue that we may face and that the lack of communication could lead to serious problems or misunderstandings. Many authors have tried to rewrite Shakespearean and other famous plays and some were successful others were not, but I believe C.E. Wilson literally nailed it with this book. I would give the book "Much Ado About Nothing" (Shakespeare for Everyone Else) a rating of 4. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!!! I am also looking forward to reading more books written by C.E.Wilson!!!

Buy "Much Ado About Nothing (Shakespeare for Everyone Else)" on Amazon
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”