Official Review: Risking Exposure by Jeanne Moran

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
arnaleigh
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arnaleigh.html
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran

Official Review: Risking Exposure by Jeanne Moran

Post by arnaleigh »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran.]
Book Cover for 9781492179825
Share This Review

This story is set in Munich, Germany 1938 and the Nazi's are in control. The story is told by 14 year old Sophie who for her age is a very talented photographer. Sophie is part of Hitler Youth as well as the other children her age. Sophie's photographing skills were leading to a promising future until she contracted polio. While recovering from the disease Sophie now has to fight for her right to be accepted again by all, and not just known as a "useless eater". She does this the only way she knows how, taking photographs.

When most people think about this time era, it is the treatment of the Jewish that comes to mind. This story focuses on a time shortly before World War II started when massive changes were taking place in Germany and there were a lot of people confused about what was going on especially those around Sophie's age. It isn't until she gets sick that she realizes what is happening all around her. This book tells a unique story and shows another side of what people were thinking leading up to World War II at a time where those from all different corners of the world were not aware of the activities happening within Germany. For me personally I haven't read from an ordinary German citizens point of the view of these times and considering Sophie's young age it made it that much more heartfelt.

Although the book is focused on Sophie there are other characters that are vital to the story line. These main characters were developed well throughout the book, making it easy to identify where everyone fits in. However the other characters, particularly other polio sufferers were not as developed and sometimes it was easy to get lost with who was who and how they ended up where they were.

The ending of the book finishes suddenly which leaves a lot of unanswered questions; including what happened to certain characters and whether Sophie succeeded in her task. This could be the author's intent, leaving the readers the decide the final outcome. An alternative to this would be the author is planning to write another book which I would definitely love to read to find answers to the unanswered questions and perhaps even to continue following Sophie's story as the war begins.

There is a glossary located in the back of the book for those interested in knowing what the German words mentioned in the book meant.This was a very helpful tool!

This book was nothing like I have read before and it was a good insight into that time era. I would give it 3 out of 4 stars and would definitely recommend it!

Buy "Risking Exposure" on Amazon
Buy "Risking Exposure" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran
13Vulpes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-13vulpes.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by 13Vulpes »

I like to read about destiny of ordinary people around the World War II. But you are right that most of the stories are about Jews, Nazi overseers, people who help Jews or about War alone and its battles. It must be very interesting to view world and its acting from point of view of german child. Maybe I read it sometimes. Thanks for your review.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I would love to read about Germany before World War II and this seems like something I would enjoy reading. Good job on the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”