Official Review: No Pit Too Deep by Michael McIntosh

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sherlock_1
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherlock-1.html
Latest Review: "Kingdom of the Sun" by Ariffa Bevin

Official Review: No Pit Too Deep by Michael McIntosh

Post by Sherlock_1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Pit Too Deep" by Michael McIntosh.]
Book Cover for 9781478338130
Share This Review

No Pit Too Deep by Michael McIntosh is a Christian novel about Julienne, a young Jamaican girl. Throughout her life, Julienne suffers abuse, neglect, and betrayal from many of the people she encounters. The story details her struggles and path to redemption through God as she tries to overcome her past.

Saying much else about the actual plot of the story would constitute a spoiler, since this book is almost completely plot-driven. The fact that the book relies so much on the events that take place in it is both a positive and a negative. On the one hand, there is never a dull moment. Julienne’s situation intrigued me and held my interest from the moment she was introduced until the final pages. On the other hand, there is very little character development. The book is written in third person, and though Julienne’s thoughts and feelings are expressed in her words and actions, I always felt somewhat removed from the situations she found herself in.

Part of the reason I was unable to fully connect with the characters was the writing style. The very straightforward but simplistic writing style drove the plot along but did little to help me care about the characters. The descriptions and foreshadowing throughout the novel were so heavy-handed at times that I felt like I was reading a description in a textbook rather than a story. If I had been shown what the characters were feeling instead of told, I think the horrors of the events in this book would have been much more real to me.

The plot, while intriguing, suffers from too many twists and turns. The story pits Julienne against multiple abuses and temptations, some of which (such as sexual abuse and the need for money) are real trials that vulnerable young people may go through. At a point, however, the story branches off into so many misfortunes that they begin to lose their effectiveness. There were horrible situations I felt were added simply to dig the protagonist deeper into sin, even if they didn’t make sense in the context of the story.

I give No Pit Too Deep two out of four stars. The author obviously has knowledge and sympathy for the young people who suffer these types of abuses. This is an extremely relevant subject, especially for young people. If the characters had more depth, the story a bit more coherence, and a more audience-appropriate writing style, this would be a four star addition to Christian literature. As it stands, though, No Pit Too Deep left me wishing there had been more to it.

Warning: This book contains multiple scenes of sexual abuse and rape, some involving a minor.

Buy "No Pit Too Deep" on Amazon
Buy "No Pit Too Deep" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Kingdom of the Sun" by Ariffa Bevin

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”