Official Review: L - - - A poetic study of relationships

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
B_elk123
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-elk123.html
Latest Review: "L" by Dane Swan, Various

Official Review: L - - - A poetic study of relationships

Post by B_elk123 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "L - - - A poetic study of relationships" by Dane Swan, Various.]
Book Cover for 2940045316798
Share This Review

The book L --- A Poetic Study in Relationships by Dane Swan is a juxtaposition, or as the author puts it a "mixtape" of poems by different authors that describe relationships. Each poet has different poems that help to illustrate their views on love. I offers different perspectives and varying "mixes" for all kinds of authors and poets.

After reading this collection, I would give it a rating of 3 stars. When I originally looked at this selection I was excited. I love poetry and I love anthologies that gather works from different authors. However, I thought this particular collection could still use a little work.

The concept of a collection of different works under the same theme is an interesting way to give differing perspectives for the reader. I believe "L_ _ _" continues that tradition I and draws readers into a,new way of thinking.

The main problem that I had with this piece was that I really thin it needs to be edited with a much heavier hand. This is also the reason for my three star rating. There are a few typos in the different poems that make it either difficult to understand. I realize that poetic license allows poets to go outside the lines of grammar rules, but this goes beyond that. There are a couple of parts that I can tell are missing a word or just have an arrangement that just does not work. I feel like before this book can truly be released into the wild a red pen will need to run through it.

The other issue that I feel needs to be addressed within this work is content. There are a few poems that do not fit the archetype of the relationship theme. One of the first that comes to mind is the poem about a writer entitled, "My Pen". This poem and the subsequent poems by the author do not refer to the overlying theme of the anthology. I honestly tried to consider the reason for its appearance but I did not understand the point of including it under this particular theme.

Overall, I think this collection has a lot of potential. However, I feel that it still needs some work before it is ready to go. There is also a potential for a series of collections. For instance, a collection of short stories on the same theme as this book. There is so much that come from this selection. I rate this collection 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "L - - - A poetic study of relationships" on Amazon
Buy "L - - - A poetic study of relationships" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "L" by Dane Swan, Various

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”