Official Review: The Messenger: Deity or Not?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Official Review: The Messenger: Deity or Not?

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Messenger: Deity or Not?" by Paul J Miller.]

Immediately, upon reading the summary of The Messenger: Deity or Not? I was snagged. I couldn't wait to read the book. The story takes place all over the United States and even abroad. It is told in the first person point of view and I really believe the author pulled it off wonderfully. The story takes you on a journey, that shows you that miracles can and do happen if you really believe, that with an open mind no matter what your ideology anything is possible.

As the story takes off, Paul Miller, the main character, makes a rash decision to move his family to Florida and in turn winds up jumping from career to career until he begins to live off of unemployment while his marriage starts to fall apart and he enters what I perceived to be a midlife crisis. Taking off for Denver, Paul starts a mission that will change his life more than he could ever have imagined. More and more characters are brought together through this cause until they all become one big family with the same belief. The story quickly moves from a spiritual retreat in Denver, to doing shows, to having a website, to having their very own TV network. They become like one big family and everything is light and happy up until the end when one of the major characters is killed. This is the second book I have read that has brought tears to my eyes.

I absolutely fell in love with this book, the characters were easily relatable and through the book you grew to love them as if you really knew them. Everything the characters, Paul and his new friends talk about touches on events and problems that happen everyday in the United States and all over the world. From political standoffs, racial issues, and the biggest religion, and how people are quick to push others to believe what they do. I also found it interesting that the name of the main character is the name of the Author, it's not something you see very often. Something else I really liked, was the referencing of movies, tv shows, and songs at different times throughout the book, it happened often but I didn't find it repetitive because it was not happening at a predictable pace.

There was not much that I didn't like about the book, the few things I didn't care for though was that there didn't seem to be a lot of description of the main character. I knew who he was and what he was doing but I couldn't really see him in my mind's eye when reading. There were few proofreading mistakes through the book however they were so few and far between that it didn't really affect the quality of the book for me. Towards the end however the mistakes seemed to become more frequent.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars because even with the mistakes I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book. I truly believe that everybody will enjoy this book. I know the book is based off of religion however I believe with an open mind you will love the book also. This book has made my list of books to buy and I really am looking forward to the next book. I hope everybody enjoys the book as much as I did.

Buy "The Messenger: Deity or Not?" on Amazon
pjmiller
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by pjmiller »

Thank you to the reviewer. You made my year. I had this book edited and I still found some errors. Thank you again. You have inspired me to get moving on the second book which I hope to finish by the end of February.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

It was my pleasure! I am planning on buying a physical copy of this book to add to my collection, which I only do for books that I really enjoy!
ciewilder
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ciewilder »

You made the book sound really interesting. I totally want to read it now. It seems like my type of book.
lakegirl conesus1

Post by lakegirl conesus1 »

I also loved this book. It was written with a dry wit and spoke of many past and relevant public themes.
It was somehow familiar which made it a comfortable and easy read.
I came to know and believe in many of the characters especially Paul.
Recommended to anyone who is a thinker
Kelleymarie93

Post by Kelleymarie93 »

I really enjoyed this book as well. I cried at the end. This book really pulls you in brings you close to the characters. It makes you want to be a part of the family and take a trip to incognito island. The messengers in the book are very true. No matter who you are you can relate to the book. The messengers are to give a general respect to everyone, no matter what. It was a quick read, but a very enjoyable one!
Mevxo

Post by Mevxo »

Seems very interesting.. Would love to give it a read.
schultz

Post by schultz »

I just finished this book. What a great story and refreshing writing style. Ive never heard of the author but i would bet you will in the future. The book is funny, thought provoking and a fun ride. Character development was great. My sister gave me this book after she read it and loved it as well. Otherwise, i never would have found it. Buy it, read it and pass it around. Bravo Paul Miller!
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Most definitely! I intend on buying an actual copy of it to reread. I am not really into books like this but this story has definitely become a favorite!
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Sounds interest. Thanks for the great review.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”