Who instilled a love of reading in you?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Re: Who instilled a love of reading in you?

Post by Hadiqa »

My mom :-)
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Actually, recently, many of the writers that I have come across on this site have made me realize how much I love reading and supporting new authors. :D
HobbySeeker

Post by HobbySeeker »

My dad! :) When I was just a wee second-grader, we read From The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pyme by Edgar Allen Poe, Spartacus that was later adapted into a film with Kurt Douglas, and... maybe a few others. They were difficult and most of it went straight over my head, but my love of reading today owes itself to that experience I got to share with him. He did his best to explain it to me, but it was no use.

I feel really lucky because of all four kids (of which I am the third), I was the only one who enjoyed that privilege. Thanks, Dad. I love you. <3
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

My middle school English teacher instilled the love of reading into me. The first book I remember reading and enjoying was The Outsiders. I never would have started reading that book without the advice of my teacher, and I most certainly would not love reading as much as I do today if she hadn't influenced me.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

It's actually something I remember just picking up on my own. My dad never goes near a book unless he has to read it for work, and my mother likes reading but doesn't do it as much as i do. Maybe i picked it up from a neighbor or friend, but i don't remember that well. I was very little when i started reading. I just remember it being my favorite hobby, aside from drawing. I would read whenever i could at school and constantly at home. I don't remember not having a book in my hand when i was little.
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

My mom!
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
tschojp
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tschojp.html
Latest Review: "Stones in the Road" by Casey Bottono

Post by tschojp »

My first grade teacher greatly influenced my love of reading. As I am sure the same goes for many first grade teachers, she had a fun program where she let us go to the school library and pick out books we wanted to read. Depending on the number of books we read, we always got some kind of prize or recognition. It created a fun atmosphere to explore the joys of reading and even today I still remember some of my favorite books in first grade. Since that time, my friends and I have always enjoyed sharing and talking about our favorite books.
Latest Review: "Stones in the Road" by Casey Bottono
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

My goodness! Currently 15 pages of posts! I wonder if anyone has actually read them all. It doesn't matter if I write this or not, but I must, perhaps as a means of catharsis.

Mrs. Irene Mayer, my freshman and senior high school English teacher. One of the greatest regrets of my life is that I never told her how much her classes meant to me, and how much the quality of her teaching had changed my life. She was the greatest teacher I have ever known. If all of my teachers had been like her I could have achieved great things. I tried, I really did, to contact her many years after I had graduated and she had retired from teaching, but as would be expected the school system would not divulge any contact information and she was unlisted in the phone directory. I should have tried harder. I should have hired a detective. She died only recently - 2012. There was still time.

It pains me to remember the day that Mrs. Mayer read the short story Miss Brill by Katherine Mansfield aloud to us and in the middle of it broke down sobbing. Why didn't I leave my desk and put my arm around her instead of sitting like the others with my mouth agape and stupefied? Why didn't I pick up her book and continue when she could no longer speak through the raking sobs? Perhaps, given the subject matter of the story, this was her own means of catharsis - her own confession, as I am confessing to you - of her regret that she did not express gratitude to her own mentor. Or perhaps it was an acknowledgement of her acceptance of the ungratefulness of students to whom she had dedicated her life.

And so I pen this belated tribute to the finest teacher it was ever my good fortune to know, dedicating any worthwhile contributions I have made to this forum as well as any of my modest writing achievements to her as well, and cast it out upon aether in the hope that Shelly's genii or Keat's nightengale might find it and bear it to her. Thank you Mrs. Mayer.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
TheMusicalMuse
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Currently Reading: The Druid's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themusicalmuse.html
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
fav_author_id: 3006

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

My mom got me hooked on books, and it was more than natural for her to do so, as she was quite the bookworm growing up too. She read aloud to my siblings and me every night, almost without exception. I specifically remember listening to the entire Laura Ingals Wilder series, several Sugar Creek Gang books, and collected poetry of John Whitcomb Riley. Once I was old enough to read on my own, she also instituted Stay-Up-Late-And-Read night: every Friday, I was allowed to stay up half an hour past my bedtime to read a book.

Now that I have my own daughter, I'm trying to follow in my mother's footsteps. My husband and I have set a goal to read her 1000 books before she goes to Kindergarten.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I pretty much got into reading on my own, even though my mother reads a lot as well. When I was in school, I was usually bored out of my mind, so I used books as an escape. It was one of the only things that made me happy when I was there.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

My mother did. When I was growing up, she would often take us to the public library to grab a book or two to read. I have always loved to read and it's still one of my favorite pastimes.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ReadandRoll[
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

John Steinbeck's writings got me hooked.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

That's a tough question. I guess my dad did but I would have to say that it was children's books themselves that made me love them.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It was definitely my dad. He subscribed to Reader's Digest for the longest time and I always picked up the magazine after he put it down. I remember going through my favorite sections Laughter is the Best Medicine, Quotable Quotes, Humor in Uniform and then reading the feature stories. My dad also had a collection of Perry Mason novels that I got me hooked on the crime and thriller genre.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”