The Perks of Being A Wallflower

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah10
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Perks of Being A Wallflower

Post by Sarah10 »

I read this book when it came out and I was a teenager. Everyone was talking about how great it was but I thought it was the most over-rated book I'd read. I'm sure a lot of that was because my expectations had been raised so high, as well as the fact that at the time there were a lot of similar books being published. To be honest though, I think that I would appreciate it more if I read it now, which I might do as I still have it.
Flowerfairy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowerfairy.html

Post by Flowerfairy »

I'm sure this book will be the best, I've just seen the movie and always tell myself I should read it. :oops:
Amna reads

Post by Amna reads »

I loved the film! and got the book a few months ago, I need to read it soon!
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I absolutely love the book and am very fond of the movie as well. The cast of the film are amazing. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

My god this book was great. And the movie was amazing as well.

I loved pretty much everything about both, although I have to admit I got the soundtrack from the movie a lot better than I did the book.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
geno0157
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geno0157.html
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by geno0157 »

My son had to read this book while in high school. He recommended it to me years later and I enjoyed reading it. I could totally relate.
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I loved both the movie and the book. I loved the blunt narration.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
Jackie Perrotti

Post by Jackie Perrotti »

This book was one of those books that I read when I was younger but couldn't really understand what was going on. I reread it when I was older and loved it because I could appreciate its meaning. This book is a perfect coming of age novel and touches on so many topics that our society is too scared to bring up for fear of opening pandora's box. I think this book should be on everyone's list of books to read.
AutumnBright74

Post by AutumnBright74 »

When I first picked this up, I was excited. It had been recommended to me by a friend that I know is a very harsh critic of literature, so if he had seen value in it, I was sure to. And I was grateful he had, because this novel proved to be breathtaking.

Starting with the layout, the letters, it is at first confusing, but then endearing. His letters not only make this novel more personal, but also, from the start, help you understand how truly alone he feels. He is entering a world he doesn't know, without a friend to confide in.

As the letters go on, we meet his eccentric and lovable new friends Sam and Patrick. This dynamic duo are the perfect addition to a story of a boy who is in desperate need of love, adventure, and experience. I found that these two were exactly what the story needed to keep it from becoming another teenage sob story. In fact, I would go as far as to say, they made the book.

Sam and Patrick, and their equally as strange group of friends not only enlighten Charlie with a new world of happiness, culture, and fun, but set a tone for the book that the reader can enjoy and hope to find in their own life.

Amidst the laughs, is an also serious tone that weaves it's way through the story. This tone hit me hard personally, as I'm sure it has many, for depression is a very serious and very scary matter that is not uncommon, especially in teen years. It is refreshing to see the issue in the open, and also addressed as something that can be overcome with support and "participation".

It is wonderfully written, and a brilliant portrayal of what many remember to be the ups and downs of high school. This "coming of age" tale is a perfect balance of comedy and heartbreak, and the author even threw in a surprise to leave your jaw on the floor and your heart in pieces for our beloved Charlie.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”