House of Leaves

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abagayle
Bookshelf Size: 0

House of Leaves

Post by Abagayle »

I FINALLY GOT IT! :P
Anyone else read this book? Its quite good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Leaves
Abagayle

Post by Abagayle »

bump bump.
i'm about one third of my way into this great work...
it is quickly becoming a favorite.
quite similar to blair witch project movie....
but uniquely BRILLIANT.
perksofbeingme

Post by perksofbeingme »

A friend gave me a copy of that and I'm scared to start it for several reasons lol. Does it eventually all come together?
How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
claudibee

Post by claudibee »

got the book but too scared to read it. children would have to coax me down from the ceiling. looks intriguing, though, so i may just bite the bullet and start it.

Kind regards

Claudibee
claudibee

Post by claudibee »

started it but have to read in daylight, just in case.
CassieXO

Post by CassieXO »

wow. I have not heard of this book.
I don't read many horror books, I did read I Am Legend and that scared me (it is WAY different from the movie). Maybe I will have to look into this.
ophilye

Post by ophilye »

I have never been able to actually finish this book... but I really did enjoy it.

It was definitely odd... it was scary in the same way I would think the shining would be scary.. (though I've never read the shining).. with a lot of not being able to trust your senses..

The author is the brother of POE (The musical artist).. and in fact an excerpt from this book is on her CD... and Poe makes a couple of references to his book (5 1/2 minute hallway)

Good writing.. good story.. If anyone actually finished it though, please e-mail me & let me know if it is worth actually finishing.
Jetpack Comics

Post by Jetpack Comics »

I've heard from so many people that I would love this book. I'll have to check it out.
vanhuchri

Post by vanhuchri »

This book is amazing! I'm about half way through and can't wait to see how it ends! I'm don't usually scare easily but this one has me sitting on the edge of my seat lol. The only thing that bugs me is how the author writes 'would of' the whole time, wonder if he did that on purpose or not.
mishmish
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishmish.html

Post by mishmish »

This book is very unique. I had to take a break in the middle of it because its a lot of work to read. I was really hoping it was going to be scarier but the way it is written is so unbelievably creative. It's not just a book. It's art.
bookworm1990
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm1990.html
Latest Review: "My Passage to Africa" by Brian C Rushton

Post by bookworm1990 »

I made it about halfway through before admitting I had almost no idea what was going on. The structure of the book was what kept me interested for so long. The beginning portion with a story in the footnotes was complicated to understand but I enjoyed the novelty aspect. However once it got to the portion with lines crossed out and pages with only one word or a line of music notes I had to admit defeat. The story about the house expanding was great but I don't know if I could face that book again with the intention of finishing it.
Latest Review: "My Passage to Africa" by Brian C Rushton
SRenee

Post by SRenee »

I have tried to finish this book for about 9 years now. There were a lot of starts and stops and restarts with this one. This last fall I finally got a little more than three quarters of the way through it and have since put it down to read a number of other books. Although I find it to be a very clever narrative and often times suspenseful, which is great, where I am now I feel that the narrative is lacking and I'm into all of the "extras" and just hoping that everything comes together and wraps up nicely. I plan on pushing through the rest but it has been a struggle, I think because it often feels disjointed because you are jumping between narratives and appendices, etc.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”